Antenna Topper Model

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DOMENECH1776

Antenna Topper Model

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

I have an idea for a stocking stuffer for my wife this year. Being the H.P. Lovecraft lover she is, I was thinking of making a Cthullu for her car.

I have a expanded polystyrene ball with a hole that could be used as the base, and I can use some wire to start the wings, but I'm unsure what to use to mold the tentacle and facial features with. It's got to withstand wind, be paintable, and adhere to the ball without destroying it.

Any ideas?
Imagine Greater. I did and I keep coming up with Sci-Fi.
Stu Pidasso

Re: Antenna Topper Model

Post by Stu Pidasso »

DOMENECH1776 wrote: I have a expanded polystyrene ball with a hole that could be used as the base, and I can use some wire to start the wings, but I'm unsure what to use to mold the tentacle and facial features with. It's got to withstand wind, be paintable, and adhere to the ball without destroying it.

Any ideas?
Maybe this stuff?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

Interesting. It would fit the criteria, but I would prefer to mold and sculpt the product onto the ball. Is it possible with this product? The videos show how to make molds or to cast from an object. Anyone have experience using this product, like I would like to, if it's even possible?

By the way, love the avatar.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Aves Fix-it is tough and pliable. You've got an hour or so worth of working time to sculpt. I'd use wire for the tentacle armatures also.
Abolish Alliteration
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

I'll check that out. I planned on using wire for the tentacles as well, 2-3 to wrap around the antenna, and a few just flexing in the air.