Shapeways materials?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

its-jess

Shapeways materials?

Post by its-jess »

This has probably been asked more than once, but I cant find it anywhere on the site, so......

Just how flexible is Shapeways Strong and Flexible? Good for making masters (using strong and flexible polished) or is that better left to frosted detail? There can be a substantial price difference between the two, and I know there are several of you here who have used Shapeways. Mind sharing the wealth?
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

White strong and flexible is not good for masters. It is very difficult to sand the resolution lines down. They do offer a polished version, but again it's very hard to work with it. It's also not as detailed as you might want to get for masters. Frosted Ultra Detail is the way to go IMHO.
its-jess

Post by its-jess »

Thanks for the info. There are a few parts I want to get grown, and just wasnt sure if white strong and flexible would be a good choice.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

It's a good idea to read through their design guidelines for each material, too. Knowing the limits of a design for any final output medium is essential.