Sprue cutters

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

amrogers3

Sprue cutters

Post by amrogers3 »

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question...

Has anyone used both the tamiya 74035 and the tamiya 74001 cutter? If so, which one do you prefer?

Thanks!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've used the 74035, nice little cutter. I still prefer my Xuron 2175ET Professional Sprue Cutter.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:I've used the 74035, nice little cutter. I still prefer my Xuron 2175ET Professional Sprue Cutter.
Ditto on the Xurons. I've used Tamiyas and I've used wire cutters. I have Xuron sprue cutters and end-nippers. They will "shear" right up to the part better than any of them it seems.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

I use small cutters like what's used in a floral shop. They tend to be double edged like wire snips so I took them to work and sanded one side flat. I could've spent the extra 3or4 $ to get the same thing from a local hobbytown Usa, but I'm kinda cheap sometimes :8)
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
naoto

Post by naoto »

It's kind'a funny that waaay back when I was a wee laddie, I used to use razor blades that were for my pa's "safety razor". Never once did I ever cut myself while using those blades -- even though I was holding them precariously between my fingers and thumb while trimming parts off the sprue trees (I never bothered to tape over the second edge).
The first time I'd cut myself accidentally was when I was using the "safer" X-acto knife.
That in mind, I'm afraid to use sprue cutters -- I might accidentially stab myself in the eye or something worse with those things!
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

While in the hospital getting stitches for using my finger to test the sharpness of a hertel cnc facemill spinning at 3500rpms, I "snagged" several scalple tips from the storage bin to use in my x-acto holder. Talk about sharp.
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

Kylwell wrote:I've used the 74035, nice little cutter. I still prefer my Xuron 2175ET Professional Sprue Cutter.
I took a leap of faith and ordered this tool in at my LHS. Nice tool!

Thanks Kylwell!