3d printing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

saleem

3d printing

Post by saleem »

for someone with absolutely no knowledge of 3d printing,how easy/hard is this to learn/pickup?

i know its basicly a cnc type machine that squirts (for want of a word) resin and lays it down to create an object.

from other people who might have a 3d printer how easy is it to pick up,use a pc/prog to design things and tell the printer what to do?

any good sites i can go to that i might learn from?
:)
G-man

Post by G-man »

The short answer.
I have 16 years experience in 3d design using multiple programs.
I still learn new stuff eery day.

ALOT of thought goes into every kit i pattern, you have to understand what goes into breakgin a kit down, as well as how to properly prototype on teh computer, you have to useder stand holding and casting. You have to know how to make the model economical for prototyping once completed on the computer.
Plus most programs don't allow you to model a perfectly useable mesh from the start, so you have to know how to use other programs to clean up and optimize the mesh for prototyping.
Can you dive in and do it in a few months time. Sure, you can do anything like that.
Can you do it, and turn out a quality prototype with great fit and amazing surface details?..Probably not.

ITs not an easy skill to master, if you really want to get into it. Hell anyone who wants to get into it, since i see these threads popping up a lot lately. Needs to be prepared to spend a lot of time learning, then relearning, then learning more, Then being told that you weren't quite right once you get it to a prototyper, so they can tell you a better way to do it. And keep in mind that every prototyper has their own specific way the like to do things. And to top it off, You have to know how each variation on the rapid prototyping technology works, so that you can optimize each mesh for the type of printer that it will be used on.
Those are the easier points to grab on to :)

Not trying to discourage you by any means, But being realistic as a professional with what you can expect to run into starting from scratch.

George.
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!