Tips for building Vacuform kit

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Squall67584

Tips for building Vacuform kit

Post by Squall67584 »

I'm about to start building a vacuformed kit, and was thinking about whether it would sag over time. The kit is of a flying wing, so the overall body is really thin and wide. I was thinking about putting a layer of Aves on the inner sides of both halves so they're more sturdy when put together. Is there any reason to not do this? Any other tips on how to keep a kit of this type sturdy would be appreciated!
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You'd be better off with gently applying some expanding foam. It's rigid and lighter. Or you could glue some Evergreen angle stock along the wing.
Abolish Alliteration
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

You could also go the standard boat building route of making some kind of internal skeleton. For a wing shape, I'd use brass rod for the length of the wing and styrene strip cut to fit the cross section.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by TazMan2000 »

Be careful with the expanding foam. Some stuff is so strong that it will bend window frames as it expands, so you can imagine what it will do with a vacuform kit. There is, I hear, some new stuff in the hardware stores that just expands to the available space and doesn't cause pressure, but I haven't tried it. I would recomend trying it out on an old model before you try it anywhere else.

TazMan2000
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Another problem with expanding foam and vacuum-formed styrene is that the solvent in the foam can be 'hot' enough to warp or even melt through the styrene (ruined 1/48th Convair B36 is my evidence!).

One or two brass rods along the chord of the wings should be enough to stop sagging and maybe a rib or two cut to the wing cross-section. Personally, I've used a few blobs of epoxy (I hate CA) to hold brass rod instead of one long run - even the heat from epoxy can distort thin styrene - it also allows for a bit of expansion & contraction in the plastic in the years to come.

Good luck.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

Thanks for all the tips guys! I made a trip to hobby lobby today and found some 1/8th inch cellufoam sheet that I'll cut to shape to use inside the halves and will use a thin brass rod to keep it straight and even. I'll post a build thread soon.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster