Looking for small files

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

amrogers3

Looking for small files

Post by amrogers3 »

Hello all, I am putting together small 28mm plastic figures. Problem is that I am having trouble finding small thin files (800+ grit) for sanding down flash. I usually use my Exacto to scrape the flash, however, I usually need a file to sand it smooth. I hate building my own using popsicle sticks (too time intensive) so I was wondering if anyone has found small, very fine, files on the net?

I have found some files that are 800+ grit (Steven's International), however, they are either too wide or too thick for my purposes.

Thanks in advance.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Widget Supply is your friend
Abolish Alliteration
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

There's always Harbor Freight too.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by amrogers3 »

I have metal fines. The problem is that trying to file a detailed plastic mini with a metal fine not only removes flash, it removes just about everything else as well. And then you still have rough surface that needs to be smoothed out :(
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Get some nail file boards (emmery boards?) from wal-mart and cut them to size. They work well for sanding. I found that as long as you are painting the surface in the end, you won't see any scratches from them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And honestly, it takes so little to custom fab a sanding stick. Sandpaper, stick, CA, done.

Had a tricky bit once, tiny spot, tiny area. Now way to get in to sand so I whipped out the knife, carved a chopstick into shape, glued on the sanding film and I had a 1x3mm sanding stick.
Abolish Alliteration
Redgriffin

Post by Redgriffin »

Go to Micro Mark they have full selection.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I found these small needle files in the beading tools section at Michaels craftstore:
http://www.michaels.com/Needle-Files/bd ... ls&start=1
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

I have used double-sided archival mounting vellum (easier to remove than double sided tape) and attached fine sand paper to my thinnest mixing spatulas, the tamiya sort.

Works quite well for me.

Thomas
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

You need some extra-fine grit diamond files and diamond riffler files, also known as jewelers' diamond files.

You want something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PC-ASSORTED-M ... 415ddfa4fb

Grit is a bit large at 200-grit. File grits are a bit larger than sandpaper grits; a 200-grit file might be like, say a 100-grit sandpaper. It took me forever to find truly fine-grit diamond rifflers/jewelers' files. What I literally had to do was look for ebay auctions like the one above and contact the seller to see if they had anything in 500- or 600-grit or "extra-fine." One or two did and I bought them. They were jewlery supply houses. The other "fine" grits sold - including those in the Micro-Mark catalog are 220-grit - making them like 100-150 grit sandpaper. That's hardly fine-grit. :shock:

There are metal jewelers' files too; they're small like their diamond cousins. Their grits work the same way but have fewer numbers. For example, a #1 grit is coarser than #10 grit. Check out www.jewelrysupply.com and you'll see what I mean.

Once you get them you'll wander how you ever lived without them.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

EDIT: Here's some you may want to inquire about as to what they mean by "fine":

http://www.garrettwade.com/fine-cut-rif ... /23T02.03/

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
qweasd
Spammer - Locked

Post by qweasd »

- spambot zapped -