Finger Nail glue at Dollar tree.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

Finger Nail glue at Dollar tree.

Post by david bailey »

I bought some and thought i might try it out,to see if its strong like superglue.I mean its got to be strong if it holds fake finger nails in place.My Dollar Tree had some in stock,so i bought some with superglue i use.IT can be had for cheap,so i thought i try it for modeling purposes.If it works good i plan on buying more. Thought i pass it on to other modelers.It might work in a pinch,if you need something different than superglue.
david bailey
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Isn't it superglue? I thought that's what was used for fake nails. It sure as heck sticks to skin!

Does it set up in a few seconds, and if you get too close to it do the fumes burn your eyes?

Dollar Tree also sells superglue, regular or gel. For a buck plus sales tax, you get three 0.07 ml tubes. Only problem is the applicator tips get glued to the caps, making the tips useless long before you run out of glue.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Doesn't that come to about $14 an ounce?

Seems like you can buy a one ounce bottle for less than $4.

:|
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
david bailey

Follow up to my post

Post by david bailey »

Spent the day modeling,playing around with the Finger Nail Glue.IT works just like superglue.I will tell you its bit ruiny with little control coming out of the little tubes.It sets up fast and it works useing accelators to make it rock hard and sets up faster. Thought i pass on the information,also it has a little give to it like superglue.Heres a tip on glue containers especially superglue,coat the inside the tips with vaseline this will keep the glue from drying on the tips,secondly insert a straight boobby pin in the tip to keep the tip clean.I always by my superglue at the Dollar Tree because its cheap,a dollar apack of three plus tax.And they do have both kinds of superglue/gel and regular. I usually buy $20.00 a time and this lasts awhile.For other glues i go to Wal-Mart or the hobby shop.
david bailey
Bellerophon

Re: Follow up to my post

Post by Bellerophon »

david bailey wrote:Heres a tip on glue containers especially superglue,coat the inside the tips with vaseline
That's a good tip! I'll try that.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Huh, so I wonder if that's roughly equivalent to Stew-Mac's "thin" superglue... That's my preferred glue for dripping on baking soda to fill gaps, as it soaks all the way into it. But it's expensive as heck.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

$5.46 a bottle? That's cheap compared to some CA's. Mercury Adhesives ( the caddy of superglues) runs about double.
Abolish Alliteration
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Kylwell wrote:$5.46 a bottle? That's cheap compared to some CA's. Mercury Adhesives ( the caddy of superglues) runs about double.
Heh, well I was going to finish that with "...especially when your wife uses it, not realizing that it gets everywhere, and empties half the bottle down her forearm." But I got distracted. Their bottle design is also no better than anyone else's, so it has the same problems of curing in the bottle or in the neck. Plus they have a minimum order and a shipping charge...

But I have yet to find another one that's so thin, so it's not like I'll stop buying it.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Try Mercury Adhesives if you can find it. Besides being seriously high grade they've got a vapor locking system in the cap, much like the Gorilla glue & Wave black one, that massively reduces clogged nozzles and crusty caps.
Abolish Alliteration