Sculpting Aves into an airfoil - in 1/144?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Sculpting Aves into an airfoil - in 1/144?

Post by DeltaVee »

I sanded down the upper finlets (whatever) on a 1/144 tactical Redstone missile way too much. I could make new ones from card stock but they wouldn't (easily) have the triangular cross section. So I've CA'd them (tenuously) to the body and plan to try to fill them with Aves and use putty sculpting tools to try to shape them into the missing sections. I'm talking the two flat sides and part of a leading edge. I'm talking the thickness of a soda can, thinner at the leading edge.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on viscosity, mix, technique? Is this nuts, and I should move immediatly to card stock?
Big Game Nerd

Post by Big Game Nerd »

Styrene might be a better material for what your after. I'm not familiar with the parts that you need to reproduce, but styrene is available in most thicknesses and easily sandable.
Also if your model is styrene based, gluing will be much strongeor.
Hope that helps
Steve
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

What Steve said. Are these airfoil in cross section, or triangular, with flat sides?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

It's a resin kit. The fins are about 1/16th square. They have a small base attached to the fin. The fin is triangular in cross section. I'm going to try to repair with sheet stock. Thanks.