Anigrand SD warped parts

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

florjon

Anigrand SD warped parts

Post by florjon »

Hi

My anigrand star destroyer has some (pretty bad) warped parts. Pretty much the whole hull is warped.
What would be the best way to straighten this?
I have found several ways to do this, but offcourse I would like to do this right the first time.

This is the model i'm talking about.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... WA0006.jpg
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Immerse in very hot, if not boiling water. Remove. Straighten and hold until cool. Repeat as necessary. Did this once with okay results. I'd approach the heat of the water cautiously. I've got one of these things too.....thanks for the reminder. I need to get it sold.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Strap it down tight to something like a board and try leaving it in the sun for a few hours. That might soften it up enough to conform to a FLAT surface. Then let it cool before unstrapping it. You could also hit it with a hair dryer on HOT if you have one...
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Florjon do a search here on SSM on this subject. There is a thread that covers this exact problem with the resin warping on the kit. I believe it was Robiwon that did a pretty well written explanation on how to correct this very simply. In a nut shell he demonstrated it using strips of aluminum that you can pick up at any hardware store. He used 5 minute epoxy and clamps to hold the aluminum strips to the hull pieces in essence forcing them straight. They also do double duty as being a great source for interior support. Aluminum tubing can be used also for feeding wire through and connecting a support mechanism.
Hope this helps.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
florjon

Post by florjon »

Thanks all.
MyFM XWing is almost finished, then im going to start with this monster
cokefiend

Post by cokefiend »

A little late I know but I was told by another who built his that he ground down a lot of those extra reinforcing bars that are built into the kit. Once those were reduced, straightening it became much easier.
"what about please and thank you?"
"I think they killed each other, y'know, one of those murder/suicide things." HS
edc111
Spammer - Locked

Post by edc111 »

spam
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

cokefiend wrote:A little late I know but I was told by another who built his that he ground down a lot of those extra reinforcing bars that are built into the kit. Once those were reduced, straightening it became much easier.
Thiis true, it would be easier because you are reducing the inherant stiffness of the structure. Of course, the corollory is that once it's straight, you need to add back the stiffeners (and maybe even more stiffeners) or risk new warping once the kit is assembled.

Just a head's up.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!