General Question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

KevinH

General Question

Post by KevinH »

Hi all,

I have built 1 Starship 1/1400 Enterprise C. I am currently working on 1/537 Refit. My question is after light blocking, and primer, what is the best method of building? Is it better to put lighting and wiring, then build, then base coat, or put base coat on individual pieces first?
EVApodman

Re: General Question

Post by EVApodman »

Always do your interior lighting stuff first and make sure it is fool proof before sealing it inside the hull. Once that's done, follow standard modeling procedures although you will have to mask off where the lighting is during painting.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

OK thanks. More to the point, after lighting, is it better to build the whole model then paint the base coat, or is it better to paint the base coat on sub-structures, then assemble and do touch ups? We are talking a Starship here.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

KevinH wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pmis it better to build the whole model then paint the base coat, or is it better to paint the base coat on sub-structures, then assemble and do touch ups?
That is one of those either this or that questions which go like:
Q: Either this or that?
A: Yes.

It depends on the structure of the specific model, modeler ability, modeler preference.

Been a very long time since I've built an Enterprise larger than a game mini but I can see base coating the saucer, secondary hull, and engine/pylon assemblies individually.
Can also see connecting the sections' wiring via locking micro plugs after each is built and mostly finished as an independent subassembly.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

If possible, just for the ease of painting, try to leave some assemblies off until the very end.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!