Is it possible to make a casting of a balloon?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Hobbit 77

Is it possible to make a casting of a balloon?

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Here's a crazy question. I'm working on a project that requires a large hollow egg shape, about 2 feet tall. I've looked at plastic eggs but they don't quite have the shape I'm looking for. The closest that I've found is an inflated balloon. Would like to try and make a hollow casting of it. If this is even possible. Thought of creating a two part RTV rubber mold of it. Also thought of injecting the balloon with resin and spin and rotate it til it cures. Another idea I had is to to coat the outer portion of the balloon with resin. Thought also of using paper mache to create the shape. Again, not sure if this is even possible to do but if anybody has an idea I would appreciate it.

Hobbit 77
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I think you may get good results with minimal fuss by using plaster strips (you know, the plaster-suffused gauze strips used by doctors to make a plaster cast for a broken leg or whatever). Resin is likely to degrade the ballon's latex, any pourable mold making medium will just make the balloon float up to the surface, paper mâché could work, but it'd take more time than plaster.

After you've made the plaster shell, you can use it to then make a mold, or finish it to use it as your piece, or coat it with mold release, and then make a resin copy…
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I think anything that generates heat (resin, plaster) might prematurely breach the integrity of the balloon's envelope, or in other words, make it pop! FWIW, I made a big piñata in high school using balloons that were papier-mâchéd into strong hollow spheres.
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Paper-mache is your best bet here.

Look at those spherical paper-lampshades or similar.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Mad-Modeler wrote:Paper-mache is your best bet here.

We used to make our own pinata using paper mache' when we were kids.
Blow up a balloon, or a beach ball and cover it with paper mache and let dry.
Decorate as required, fill it up, then beat it with a stick.

:D
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

My mom used to make these when we were kids.

And I've made these for special dinners.

They may not meet your exact needs, but it may give you some inspiration!
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Mad-Modeler wrote:Paper-mache is your best bet here.

And/or use strips from a newspaper, soak them in thin wallpaper glue, and apply the cross-hatch in multiple layers onto the blown balloon.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu