Places to buy large tubing in metric sizes

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

tetsujin

Places to buy large tubing in metric sizes

Post by tetsujin »

Hi, for my current project I need some fairly large sizes of tubing (between 16-28mm probably) Plastruct has stuff in that size range, and I got some stuff that will probably fit my needs - but as a rule I prefer to work on a metric standard. Are there any good sources online for this kind of stuff, but in real metric sizes?
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I have yet to find a source for metric tubing. Your best bet is to get the imperial size that is closest to your needs. Then you can wrap a thin piece of sheet around it to bring it up to the size you need.

What exact sizes in mm do you need??
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
JasonJDF

Post by JasonJDF »

Contact Matthew John at Albion Alloys. They might have something in their regular non modeler lines of tubing.
The day started off with instructions and ended up KITBASHED!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

I have a full wood working shop, so I have some tools that others do not. Still, I have taken hardwood dowels, chucked them in my lathe, and sanded them so A. they were round, B. cylindrical, and C. the correct diameter. I was surprised how much the dowels were neither A. nor B.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

ajmadison wrote:I have a full wood working shop, so I have some tools that others do not. Still, I have taken hardwood dowels, chucked them in my lathe, and sanded them so A. they were round, B. cylindrical, and C. the correct diameter. I was surprised how much the dowels were neither A. nor B.
I have found the same to be true of acrylic rod and tubing. It's never perfectly round or straight. :(

I like to pour resin cylinders in pieces of ABS and PVC tubing the turn that down on the lathe for my needs. Smooth-on SC-305 machines wonderfully and scribes beautifully.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Re: Places to buy large tubing in metric sizes

Post by Chacal »

tetsujin wrote:Places to buy large tubing in metric sizes
Hmmm… Europe?

Did I get it right? ;)
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
prisoner_1079

Post by prisoner_1079 »

I use metric and I live in the USA.
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
Daikaiju1

Post by Daikaiju1 »

Electrical conduit?
I build therefore I am.