TOS bridge overhead light pattern

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

nurturer

TOS bridge overhead light pattern

Post by nurturer »

I'm looking for a way to re-create the squiggly glass pattern for the overhead lamps on the Star Trek TOS bridge. The bridge model I'm making these for is about 3 feet in diameter.

I thought about spraying transparent plastic with a dull coat, then when dry, lightly airbrush paint thinner over it. It creates a wrinkled effect, but not sure that it's what I'm looking for.

Any constructive suggestions apprciated.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I'm drawing a blank regarding the effect you're trying to replicate and looking around online I can't be sure I'm seeing the same thing you are, do you have a link to a good picture?

Ken
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Here's a still from The Ultimate Computer. The pattern to the glass has a sort of turtle shell pattern:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 89good.jpg

I want to replicate that pattern, but not sure how to go about it. I have some ideas, but I'm wondering if someone knows for sure.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Was it something originally clear which they sprayed paint on?

Something like the clear ones of these plastic sheets maybe?
Then spray with clear red, orange?

http://www.walthers.com/
Plastruct Inc Walthers Mfg # 570
Part # Thumbnail Description Scale Price Stock? Expected
570-91801 Calm/Shallow Water Sheet -- Blue A 6.95 Y

570-91802 Agitated/Shallow Water -- Blue A 6.95 Y

570-91803 Choppy/Deep Water -- Blue A 6.95 Y

570-91804 Stormy/Deep Water -- Blue A 6.95 Y

570-91811 Calm/Shallow Water -- Clear A 9.95 Y

570-91812 Agitated/Shallow Water -- Clear A 9.95 Y

570-91813 Choppy/Deep Water -- Clear A 9.95 Y

570-91814 Stormy/Deep Water -- Clear A 9.95 Y
Or

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm
Dimensions: 420mm×297mm
(Model kit is not included.)

【 A Great Diorama Waiting to Happen 】 This is a clear plate that features realistic molded wave patterns. Just by painting the undersurface blue, you can achieve a believable ocean surface, making it the perfect setting for any 1/700 Scale Waterline Series ship model. Furthermore, you can use it as a ground surface by changing the color you use to paint it. Each side features a different molded wave pattern, so you can choose which side is suitable to match your model.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

southwestforests got it, it looks like rippled glass or plexi (probably the former) that was either painted or has a theatrical gel between it and the light.

Ken
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Walthers Choppy/Deep Water Clear might be the winner.

And I can't find the Tamiya pattern in the link.

Here is another view of it:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... hd0092.jpg
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

nurturer wrote: Here is another view of it:

That pattern is almost exactly like the one in the upstairs shower in my dad's house, the house was built in the late 60's. Slap some clear green paint on the backside and they'd look exactly like this pic.

Ken
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

kenlilly106 wrote:
nurturer wrote: Here is another view of it:

That pattern is almost exactly like the one in the upstairs shower in my dad's house, the house was built in the late 60's. Slap some clear green paint on the backside and they'd look exactly like this pic.

Ken
So, how does that pattern get replicated for a model? That is the question.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Try a bottle of brush-on Dullcote. Put a layer on a piece of clear sheet, let it start to dry. Before it's fully dry but not while fully wet - somewhere in that "gel" range - lightly touch a sponge to it to create an "orange peel" texture. With luck, it should look the way you need it to from the other side.

Just a theory but it sounds like it should work.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Ziz wrote:Try a bottle of brush-on Dullcote. Put a layer on a piece of clear sheet, let it start to dry. Before it's fully dry but not while fully wet - somewhere in that "gel" range - lightly touch a sponge to it to create an "orange peel" texture. With luck, it should look the way you need it to from the other side.

Just a theory but it sounds like it should work.
A sponge or maybe a toothbrush. The bristles ought to bring out a stipple effect.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

nurturer wrote: So, how does that pattern get replicated for a model? That is the question.
Do you want to use the rippled clear plastic and put the tint on it or make your own?

The Dullcote/stippled clear coat idea below sounds like it should work, I'm trying to think of anything else that can be applied that dries clear but could be stippled before it finally sets. I think there are some clear artists acrylic gel mediums, Microscale Crystal Clear is another option, it dries clear and is think enough to hold a stipple.

Ken
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Acrylic gloss medium might be a good choice; it comes in different stiffnesses, and one of the stiffer variants would work very well, I'm sure.
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

If using a clear styrene, any suggestions on where or how to apply color, through gels, transparent colored tape, or translescnet paints and where to get them?