3D Printers for Home

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Ramsayman

3D Printers for Home

Post by Ramsayman »

Anyone heard of these?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.fabathome.org/
http://www.makerbot.com/

They're a build your own kind of thing.
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

I'm constantly reviewing options.
However... solutions like RepRap are still not 'there' yet for me, the resolution is just too low. I'm keeping my eye out though, it's an evolving tech. And it's an amazing tech, once the resolution gets better. It's going to be transformative...
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Yeah, I fiigured the resolution might be on the low side. But a friend of mine wants an excuse to build one, so I figure it might work for some good basic shapes, then detail it up after.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I've seen the makerbot in action, and it seemed to do a good job. Various tech guys keep saying that there will be a $300.00 3d printer at Toys R Us for next xmas. I really don't want to learn computer modeling right now, so I'll stick to knives and sandpaper!
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Andrew Gorman wrote:I've seen the makerbot in action, and it seemed to do a good job. Various tech guys keep saying that there will be a $300.00 3d printer at Toys R Us for next xmas. I really don't want to learn computer modeling right now, so I'll stick to knives and sandpaper!
If there is going to be one....the resolution with be pathetic.

TazMan2000
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

There are these printers based on the Makerbot.
Like the makerbot, there is only one print head, and models
need to be self supporting, or cut into sections that can be printed in one pass.
Note the stair stepped terracing of some areas of demo models.
The resolution at this price is still pretty course.

http://pp3dp.com/
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

These machines and the desktop CNC machines are all a balance of resolution versus cost. Technically, the machines that can cut out shapes for scrapbooking are CNC machines, they're in the $300 range, and the resolution by those machines, for modeling purposes, is terrible. OTOH, a desktop laser CNC made in China is approximately $2K, though they're coming down, but you have to be both really serious about the hobby and have an intense project in mind to make the machine "worth it."

These 3D printer efforts will produce a prosumer level (resolution & capacity) machine, that I'm sure of. But it could be five years before we're "there yet." (Basically 3 generations of processor.) Upon reflection, in the late 80's, some arcade games either had 2D playing fields, or were 3D but were ray-traced, and it was obvious that the available computational power was the limitation. I bought an original XBOX in 2006, which was behind the initial wave, but it had real time 3D graphics. I'm not saying it will be 20 years, but we're going to need some upgrades before there is going to be a 3D printer on my desk.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Yeah and we all think the 'mom & pop hobby shop' is a rare thing these days! As intriguing as these machines are (& I use to work in rapid prototyping) I somehow am not that eager for their arrival in the consumer market.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
nash30

Post by nash30 »

Andrew Gorman wrote:I've seen the makerbot in action, and it seemed to do a good job. Various tech guys keep saying that there will be a $300.00 3d printer at Toys R Us for next xmas. I really don't want to learn computer modeling right now, so I'll stick to knives and sandpaper!
and now i am about to purchase my dream Makerbot 3D ink printer.. maybe just too late since some are already on the Makerbot upgrade time stage and building new platforms..
Last edited by nash30 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

I have tossed around the idea of getting one of these machines.

Unfortunately, apart from the limited printing resolution I also get the impression that owning and operating one of these is a hobby unto itself.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Okay, so, how long until you can do this at home?
3D-printed titanium jaw allows 83-year-old to bypass risky reconstructive surgery
Digital TrendsBy Jeff Hughes | Digital Trends – 5 hrs ago
http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printed-titani ... 38528.html
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

IMSI sent me their semi-annual sale brochure begging me to spend money on software I don't need (or to upgrade) and there was a link in the email that caught my eye.

http://www.turbocad.com/3DPrinters/RapM ... fault.aspx

This 3D printer is in the almost affordable range, albeit for the very serious hobbyist, and with a resolution that is tolerable: it is in the sub-millimeter range. What I don't know is how expensive the material is, and if the single head print speed is reasonable, e.g. can it print a fairly large sub-assembly, say in one day, or not. Its not obvious how to translate the linear speed into volume estimate.

So the prices are coming down. But I'm not ready to be an early adopter.