Engine Bells - New fun with my Taig Lathe

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Tankmodeler

Engine Bells - New fun with my Taig Lathe

Post by Tankmodeler »

Got a woodworking tool rest for my Taig the other day and finally got some lathe chisels to use with it. Making the curved shape of an engine bell with the normal machine tool controls of the Taig would heve been, frankly, impossible for me.

With the chisels? About 20 minutes. Including hollowing it out and sanding it smooth.

Here are links to a few photos of the result.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308 ... zle-01.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308 ... zle-03.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308 ... zle-04.jpg

I haven't touched a wood lathe in 20+ years bit this was pretty simple. I'm kinda stoked about the possibilities. I'm still new at this, though. The cool pattern just visible near the root of the bell look absolutely amazing, but was an accident caused by chatter of the tool and some vibration in the lathe.

The raw material is a plug of polyurethane resin I poured up for this purpose.

Pretty cool, eh?

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Very, very cool!

And I do understand: I've got a very cheap Harbor Freight wood lathe that I have done some minor work with... but I scored some awesome lathe chisels at a thrift shop and the quality of my output went way up!
________
Joe Brown
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Very nice start! Add a few details with strip stock and cast many copies. About how big is this?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

The bell is about 1" across the base & about 1 1/4" long.

I'm going to cast up a few as is as I kinda like the celan, "Merlin" look to them.

I'll make others with the reinforcing ribs & such. I'm not trying to make anything specific at the moment, just palying with parts for a fun SF scratchbuild I'm into.

I might just talk to Blappy, though, if there was interest in a line of these bells for other people's projects...

Paul
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Rubber is standing by! :D
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Tankmodeler wrote:The bell is about 1" across the base & about 1 1/4" long.

I'm going to cast up a few as is as I kinda like the celan, "Merlin" look to them.

I'll make others with the reinforcing ribs & such. I'm not trying to make anything specific at the moment, just palying with parts for a fun SF scratchbuild I'm into.

I might just talk to Blappy, though, if there was interest in a line of these bells for other people's projects...

Paul
I'm rubbing me hands together in anticipation, because a thruster nozzle about the size you just made is just what I need... :D
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
MedixWerkeShoppe

Post by MedixWerkeShoppe »

Excellent Work Paul. I start my military career as an Air Force machinist 30 years ago and that's just great work!

Mike
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Nice job. What material are you using?

TazMan2000
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

A cast cylinder of polyurethane resin. Smooth-on 300, I think.

I have a bunch of old medicine containers and I pour resin in them. I have them in a number of sizes so I have a number of resin plugs to use as feedstock for projects.

I haven't done anything with this since my last post as I've been busy with other projects.

Paul