Top 10 tools

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Alex Dumas

Top 10 tools

Post by Alex Dumas »

Someone recently asked me about the tooling I was using to scratchbuild kits. I am covering most of the building process on my website but I realized I never talked much about the tools used. This made me wonder... If I were allow to bring only ten tools (or types/sets of tools) what would they be?

Here's my take along with a very brief description for each. To make it easier, let's say we already have all a cutting mat and a hobby knife (x-acto):

1. Hobby saws - With miter box
2. Plier/Sprue cutters - For plastic, photo-etched and more
3. Files of different shapes and sizes - From carpenter to micro files
4. Flex files - A must at every stage of the process
5. Glue applicators - For precise application and flow control
6. Punch and die set - For making holes and round details
7. Scribers - To make fine scribed lines (full article here)
8. Photo-etched saws - Mostly for scribing strait lines (I used the engraver pen first to make a groove)
9. Chisels - For reworking fine surface detailing and enhancing sharp edges
10. Dremel bits of all kind - Great for windows and RCS thrusters, etc.

I could have listed at least 10 more that I consider essentials...
Last edited by Alex Dumas on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alex
scihighmodels.com
oliver_s

Post by oliver_s »

I'd add:

drill press for the Dremel
hand vice drill
Mori Mori putty
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

(a first post finally :D )

Yep, the good hand vice drill, a must for sure! Is the mori mori putty much better than Tamiya's? I didn't know about that one...
Last edited by Alex Dumas on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I'm going to suggest a flexshaft for the Dremel. I'd be scared shivering in a corner if I attempted a scratchbuild without it. :lol:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

10 tools...

1. Hobby knife w/#11 Excel blades
2. Sanding sticks
3. Xuron Pro Sprue Cutters
4. Optivisor
5. Micro-tweezers
6. Rubber Bands
7. Glue brush
8. Microsaws
9. Machinist pin vices & bits
10. Files
Abolish Alliteration
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Totally agree for the flexshaft. In fact, I have cheated as you can see the end of the shaft on this pic. :wink:

Tweezers!!! I should have put these in my top 10 as well (instead of the chisels probably...)
Alex
scihighmodels.com
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Hard for me to quibble with the list, other than having the exact right tool makes all of the difference.

With the given understanding that some of the above tools can be purchased from the hardware store, and others are available from craft stores, here are some choices, albeit with brand names, that I think are more worth owning than something available on the mass market.

Mission Models Chisels. Once, in frustration I took a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver and sharpened it against a whetstone. Then I bought a MM chisel set. Same thing, just sharper and holds its edge.

Mission Models scriber set. Not saying its the very best, someone described a tool I do not own (yet) that sounds better. But MM scribers are so much better than the back of a no. 11 blade or the Squadron scriber.

Zona Razor Saws with their high tooth count, very thin kerfs are efficient and remove the least amount of material. No regrets buying a couple of these.

Something not on the list: NWSL Chopper II. Need a standard angle cut, 90, 45, 30 or 60? Chopper II does it quickly and accurately. You can even set it up just like a chop saw, with a stop block, so you can make the same cut over and over.

Or Super glue accelerants. Superglue construction is not for everyone, or even every model. But its radically changed how I build things.

Tiny drafting triangles. I use them all the time. Obviously for making right angle cuts in sheet stock, but for marking, aligning sub-assembles during construction, as baselines for making measurements on compound curved objects, or scribing panel lines.

Laser levels. Need to draw a line on compound curved shape? There are other tools, but this bit of reasonably priced high technology (depending upon what you get at the home center) is perfect. I'm talking under $40, not over $400.

While on that subject, brass sheet. I've cut custom templates from them, used them for marking (again), and for scribing panel lines. Can't complete a scratchbuild w/o one.

Finallly, Dymo label tape. Also haven't finished a scratchbuild w/o it. You can mark or scribe lines that you would need 4 hands for (one to hold the model, two to hold the scribing template, one to pull the scriber).
oliver_s

Post by oliver_s »

I use Tamiya epoxy putty and Mori Mori, both have their uses. I like the 2 part nature of the Mori Mori (also Sube Sube) and easy to sand and fill gaps.

More to add after seeing elastic bands

pegs
small clamps
small metal set squares for small right angles

Depending on your type of scratch building a tile profile gauge
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Optivisor; I have never considered those before. Interesting... My eyes are 'bleeding' while doing tiny stuff. Maybe this is the solution.

I must say, those Mission Models' scribers do look good:
http://misc.kitreview.com/tools/microch ... ewbg_2.htm

Ahhh, the Chopper II! I have it and it's great for sure:
http://www.nwsl.com/tools/cutting-tools ... s-i-ii-iii

That Laser levels is a very good idea! And it would help me in my home renovation projects as well. Done, it's now on my birthday list!
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Alex Dumas wrote:Optivisor; I have never considered those before. Interesting... My eyes are 'bleeding' while doing tiny stuff. Maybe this is the solution.
After many, many years of modelling and, at 51, declining ability to focus close up, I got an Optivisor a year ago.

O M G !!!!

I can see stuff I haven't seen in years! I can see things I could never see! I don't take the thing off at all when modelling now. It is such a huge improvement to my ability to produce reasonable work that I know it's close to the top of my "top 10" list.

Dude, you will not be disappointed. If you are worried that they might be expensive, cheap equivalents are available at lots of plces, including McMaster Carr. My el cheapo pair cost only $15 and work just fine.

Try 'em! You'll like 'em!

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I agree with the majority of the tools listed here however I am going to go high tech

1. Digital/dial calipers - they are getting fairly cheap to purchase and are great for measuring things to make sure they are the right length

2. CAD/graphics Programs - has a steep learning curve but I find it very helpful in scratch building stuff. I can draw stuff in CAD or a graphics program, print it out and use that to cut out templates out of styrene or other materials

3. ALPs printer - sort of goes along with the graphics programs. The ability to make your own decals opens up a lot of possibilities for your modelling. If done right the results are amazing

4. PE kit - it is much easier these days to do photo etching. The methods to transfer designs to the brass is also easier. The harsh chemicals of years ago are replaced with chemicals easier to use. This also goes along with the CAD/graphics programs.

What I don't have but would love to get is a CNC machine (way too expensive) and a rapid prototype machine (way way too expensive)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I would like to add:

Riffler files

Ultra fine diamond files

Ultra fine diamond riffler files

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
1138thx

Post by 1138thx »

A 6 to 8 inch course file can really remove styrene and other objectionables fast and accurately.
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, but the question is "if I were allow to bring only ten tools (or types/sets of tools) what would they be?"
Abolish Alliteration
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Tankmodeler wrote: Dude, you will not be disappointed. If you are worried that they might be expensive, cheap equivalents are available at lots of plces, including McMaster Carr. My el cheapo pair cost only $15 and work just fine.

Try 'em! You'll like 'em!
Paul
Paul, can you point me out to a good one. I have checked on eBay and there's quite a few to choose from... Micro Mark also have a few models:
http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Bino ... ,6711.html
http://www.micromark.com/All-Plastic-Bi ... ,6713.html
http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Prof ... ,9334.html

Thanks!
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Kylwell is right. Even I was getting too excited by those 'new' tools that I forgot the question. Let's stick to it for now.

"if I were allow to bring only ten tools (or types/sets of tools) what would they be?"
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Jeff Herne

Post by Jeff Herne »

Going on the presumption that I'd have access to consumable materials like styrene, brass, wire, glue, paint, etc., my 10 tools for scratch building would be (are)...

#1: X-Acto with a supply of #11 blades.
#2: UMM-USA scribing tool.
#3: A drafting set (tri-square, ruler, compass, protractor, French curves)
#4: Chopper II/III
#5: A good set of tweezers
#6: Airbrush rig.
#7: Aves Apoxy Sculpt
#8: Various sizes of masking tape
#9: Drill set
#10: Sanding sticks

What might be interesting - is to document a build using only the tools you list!

J
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Alex Dumas wrote: Paul, can you point me out to a good one. I have checked on eBay and there's quite a few to choose from... Micro Mark also have a few models:
http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Bino ... ,6711.html
http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Prof ... ,9334.html

Thanks!
As I said, mine is the el cheapo version, similar to this one:
It ain't great, but it shows that the absolute bottom of the line produce can give you impressive results. Anything better will just gild the lily. The 39 buck job looks like a worthwhile improvement in both quality and features with the separate loup, but the $188 set looks like serious overkill.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The large set contains a full line of lenses for working @ differing magnifications. I've got 2 visors, a genuine Optivisor and a cheap knock-off. The Optivisor is much more comfortable but the cheap one has 2 different magnifications.
Abolish Alliteration
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Jeff Herne wrote: #2: UMM-USA scribing tool.
That scriber just got onto my wanted list!
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_ ... 7eq59c4gv7
Jeff Herne wrote: What might be interesting - is to document a build using only the tools you list!
A very interesting and challenging idea for sure... Maybe it could be submitted for a future contest here on SSM. Something like "Anything with 10 tools (scratch or kitbash)"
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Thaks for the info on the Optivisors, guys!
I just noticed that Micro-Mark suggest magnifiers based on your working distance: http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Bino ... ,6711.html

I guess you can start with that; the 14 inches would be the best choice for me (#52388)
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Jeff Herne

Post by Jeff Herne »

Alex,

I've been a model maker for nearly 30 years, and this scriber beats anything I've come up with (PE, dental picks, etc).

Between Jon's scriber and his razor saw, (and now his punch and die sets), I've spent more on tools from UMM-USA in the last year than I have in the last 15 years!

J
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

I have just placed my order with UMM-USA ...Can't wait to try my new scribers! Thanks!
Last edited by Alex Dumas on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
scihighmodels.com
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

I have been scratching for about 15+ years, and have not changed but a few things in that amount of time. I started with the pencil, and it all got crazy.

My list so far:

1) Pencil
2) X-Acto with #11 blades
3) sanding sticks, from Sally's
4) SuperGlue
5) Baking Soda
6) Micro Files of various sizes
7) Sand Paper, 600, 1200
8) Polyester resin, (fiberglass) and Spotlight finishing putty
9) Peanut Butter and chocolate chips.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

1) #11 blades
2) pen scriber
3) 330+ sanding sticks
4) putty (most metal tube kinds)
5) toothpicks
6) Q-tips
7) 6" clear flexible ruler
8) superglue application tips
9) files of all sizes and shapes
10) and my computer :P
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

AbsoluteSciFi wrote: 5) Baking Soda
What's the baking soda for?
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Alex Dumas wrote:
CA fill.
Abolish Alliteration
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

Ahhhh, I see now.
Alex
scihighmodels.com
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Alex Dumas wrote:
Makes a cake rise, silly!

No really, it absorbs odors when I fart!

Ok, ok- I almost exclusively use super glue for my builds, on everything. CA, as you know, is acidic in nature. Baking soda is alkaline. Not only is baking soda a good cure for the superglue, but it also can be used as a filler and to build up and fill out gaps, crisp up corners, and make solid areas to shape the way you want.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I'm not a big fan of the baking soda / super glue method. Many years ago I used it on almost everything, but over time the joins become brittle and fall apart. In fact the project I'm working on now is an SR-71 I built 17 years ago. I'm rebuilding it to see if I can do a better job this time. Fortunately for me I used CA and baking soda on the whole kit. Most of the assembly comes apart with very little effort. The only things that I can't get apart are the main fuselage halves, which have considerable surface area to contact. I've never had joins done with liquid styrene cement become brittle and frail like this.

As for the main subject, I don't know what my top ten list would be. But I know that my good old Mitutoyo 8" dial calipers would be at the top of the list.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.