Hatch hardware

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

widowson

Hatch hardware

Post by widowson »

I'm designing and building a cheesy space ship for a cheesier movie I'm producing.

Scale 1/6
Sixe 3 feet long by 1'-4" diameter. Picture a cylinder with a nose cone, fins.

About half way back on the fuselage, there is a hatch for in/out. It will be curved with the ship, and it needs to open and stay closed. The hatch will be about a foot tall by three inches wide.

I figure I need to begin with the hinge hardware. I need a hinge that can "swing" out so the hatch moves clear of the curved fuselage. It brings to mind the rear turret hatch on a Panther Tank (for those familiar).

Anybody out there with an idea of where I should begin. I will scratch build the hinge if I have to, but everything would be better and more reliable with some kind of pre-made hinge.

Thanks,
Bill Arney
Producer, Host
Cheese Theatre
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

For working hinges look into PE aftermarket parts for Military models, those will also include working locks,levers etc. Scale of the AM parts will depend on the size you need.

Ditto there are tons of aftermarkets, rivets, etc to add smaller details and so on.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Seems to me that you want some sort of gooseneck hinge, like a lot of cars use for their trunklids.

I've built about a zillion over the years for my model cars; I bet a Google search on "model car door hinges" would produce a lot of how-to articles.
widowson

Hatch hardware

Post by widowson »

Thanks, fellas. I never would have thought of that. I'll check it out.
Bill Arney
Producer, Host
Cheese Theatre
Joseph C. Brown

Re: Hatch hardware

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

widowson wrote:

I figure I need to begin with the hinge hardware. I need a hinge that can "swing" out so the hatch moves clear of the curved fuselage. It brings to mind the rear turret hatch on a Panther Tank (for those familiar).

Anybody out there with an idea of where I should begin. I will scratch build the hinge if I have to, but everything would be better and more reliable with some kind of pre-made hinge.

Thanks,

By using stiff wire you can (fairly easily) make a hinge that does what you want it to do, without wasting time trying to find a pre-made hinge that might or might not work. The model car guys do alot of this kind of work:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/inde ... opic=28665
________
Joe Brown
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

________
Joe Brown
kerick

Post by kerick »

There are different styles of hinges at a home center for kitchen cabinet doors. I'm thinking of hinges for the tip out drawer front that goes in front of the kitchen sink. Many different types, if they aren't too big for your project.
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry