Making a flanged lens

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

kenlilly106

Making a flanged lens

Post by kenlilly106 »

Got a little project going on that needs 4 lenses made, I've found the perfect sized lens and barrel material (lipstick tubes w/o the center mark) but I need to make a riveted flange on one end.

My first idea was to cut out 4 rings in styrene and glue them onto the end of the barrel and then glue a strip of styrene around the barrel and sand and putty as needed.

Course the big problem is cutting out 4 identical holes and getting them aligned properly.

Then I tried bending Plastruct angle into a ring but it doesn't work since there's too much material to compress.

I thought about plunge forming some but I think cutting out the hole and getting it centered properly would be a problem.

I'm back to cutting out rings and gluing them on as my solution, it's important I get the rings centered on the lens or they won't look right and I'm not sure I can do it any other way.

Ken
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Gasket punches have worked for me- there are some available with a center point that makes concentric rings a snap. Or if you can find a metal washer the right size, use it as a pattern for your plastic version.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Never thought about using washers for the pattern, you're a genius!

Ken
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

What size rings do you need? Plastruct makes ABS rings that are really handy for all kinds of things.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Looking for something 11/16" nominal OD and around 1/2" to 9/16" ID, ideally .040" thick or thinner.

I didn't know about the Plastruct rings, I looked at what they had, they do make 11/16" OD rings but the ID is a shade smaller than what I need, plus the thickness is way too thick, thanks for pointing them out to me, I didn't know Plastruct make anything like that.

Ken
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You could still heat form them as you mentioned, just make the center hole part of the buck. At the center of the tool you're using for a buck, put an additional small, raised disk. Then after forming, when you cut your flanged rings from the sheet, cut the center raised area off. It will always be in the same place.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I don't know how much help this will be but I have successfully created multiple custom size flanges using a lathe. There are several methods that can be used. So if you know someone that has one available I'd look at that as a possibility...

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert