Solar Arrays

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Aurora-7

Solar Arrays

Post by Aurora-7 »

I want to put a solar array on my Pilgrim Observer kit (it makes sense to me they would have one at least for back up even though it's a nuclear powered vehicle) but have never scratch built one before.

Any suggestions from anyone who has? I'd be interested to know what techniques people have done to get the solar cell effect.

Thanks.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Get plasticard.

If it isn't already scribed with the pattern of cells you want, scrib it now. This is the worst bit.

Get the really shiny BareMetal foil an apply to the plasticard. Rub down gently with a very soft cloth, making sure it gets into the scribe lines.

Airbrush 2 light coats of Tamiya Clear Blue.

Airbrush 1 very light coat of Tamiya Smoke.

Leave to cure for a couple of days.

Grind up some white pastille/chalk & dampen with some water. You want it to be the consistency of mud.

Spread this 'mud' over the whole panel making sure it's going into the scribe lines. Leave for a few minutes and gently wipe off the excess.

There you go.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Would a coat of Tamiya metallic blue with a top coat of smoke give the approximate effect?
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Last edited by Kylwell on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abolish Alliteration
Aurora-7

Post by Aurora-7 »

Kylwell,

You mean this?

https://www.hlj.com/product/HSGTF901
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

YES!

Edited.

That's what I get for trying to post too early in the morn.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

tonyG2 wrote:Would a coat of Tamiya metallic blue with a top coat of smoke give the approximate effect?
It might do, but I think the metallic blue paint wouldn't look quite as metallic as the clear blue on foil.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
1138thx

Post by 1138thx »

The method I use is to add very fine wire mesh from plastic screening. The build a border around it with styrene strips. Sort of what you would see on the tie fighter models.
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

There's also stuff called Funky Film. Gives this effect -
http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/lunokhod/G ... t0007.html
http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/lunokhod/G ... Luno1.html

If you have a party store near you they also sell a mylar type balloon with similar properties. It comes in a deep purple/blue (amongst other colors). I bought two of em and it looks like I'll have enuff solar panel materials for the foreseeable future....

Make sure you take pics to show us when they're built! :wink:
Aurora-7

Post by Aurora-7 »

Thanks, all, for the advise.

I think I'll make panels as seen on most of the Orion conceptions -round, radiating panels.

I want to sort of contemporize the look of the Pilgrim, make it look like it's operating now with current technologies. I've been gathering images of the ISS and shuttle for reference of thermal blankets, insulators and reflectors.

When I start this project later in April, I'll post images in the 'On The Bench' thread.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Aurora-7 wrote:I want to sort of contemporize the look of the Pilgrim, make it look like it's operating now with current technologies.
In that case you might want to add something like the Canadarm back near the nuke engine. No-one is going to want to go back near that puppy, but maintenance requirements may dictate a robotic servicing system.

You can make it like the ISS arm and add grapple fixtures all over the Pilgrim to indicate that the arm actually can crawl all over the ship to do essential duties without forcing anyone outside, which is much more dangerous than staying inside & doing maintenance by teleoperation.

Exterior storage pallets for spare parts & consumables are also a more modern addition to a Pilgrim type mission.

Just a few thoughts from a guy working in the space robotics field. :)

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!