Hover "tanks"

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Springheel Jack

Hover "tanks"

Post by Springheel Jack »

I've just dug these models out of storage. I built them 1994 according to the date on the underside (anyone else date their models ?).

The main hull on each is made from plastic sheet. One is a Hover-Rover recon. vehicle and the other is a Saracen 2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

The backstory is they were built by Vickers Fighting Vehicles in response to the increasing vunerability of slow moving wheeled vehicles and low flying helicopters. They were then supplied to the Sultanate Of Oman. God knows what the fuel consumption of the IFV would be !

They are lightly weathered but this tends not to show in my photos.

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/modelpicsk/
Never give in, never give in
never, never, never, never.

Winston S Churchill
Wug

Post by Wug »

Those are nice. I like the skirts and your use of mesh.

Mike
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I agree with Wug. The weathering is understated but effective. For instance the rubber skirts look quite real.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Ditto for me! Those builds a great! They look like something the army would use in the near future.

The understated weathering is pretty realistic. The US army (if that's the army these belong to, that is) wouldn't let their vehicles get too dirty if they could help it.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Springheel Jack

Post by Springheel Jack »

Thanks for the positive comments. The skirts were made from oval section rigid plastic conduit which comes in approx 4' lengths.

The mesh screens are made from offcuts of dressmaking material. I think it's called "Vylene" and is used to back dresses. And it cost me nothing. It makes a great alternative to photoetched mesh.

The engines on the IFV are cocktail stick containers.
Never give in, never give in
never, never, never, never.

Winston S Churchill
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

You mean that grille material isn't photoetch?! :shock: I need to get me some. You think a dress shop would have scrap Vylene in the back room they'd let me have?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:You mean that grille material isn't photoetch?! :shock: I need to get me some. You think a dress shop would have scrap Vylene in the back room they'd let me have?
It's Vilene (Vylene is a type of plastic) and this trick is a very old military modeller one. Look for "Wondaweb" in the haberdashery section of a department store and it costs cents.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson