This may be usefull to someone...

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Jon Kunatz

This may be usefull to someone...

Post by Jon Kunatz »

Can anyone make use of these services?
Im not trying to step on toes or anything, I saw this site while websurfing, thought others would find interest.

Here ya go.
http://www.sculpteo.com/en/scale-modeli ... KgodMg0l0g
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Interesting yes. And I'm always interested in knowing the price points of CNC or 3D "printing" of parts. Alas, wish these guys were more upfront about the resolution of the parts they produce. Though the attached modeling article, written in French!, tells me the resolution is in the millimeter range, which isn't quite there for the scratch builds I do.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

[quote="ajmadison" Though the attached modeling article, written in French![/quote]
Not surprising as it's a French company. Incidentally, the Bing translation is rather quaint.
ajmadison wrote: ...tells me the resolution is in the millimeter range, which isn't quite there for the scratch builds I do.
0.1mm is about 0.004inch - pretty good if you ask me.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

seam-filler wrote:[quote="ajmadison" Though the attached modeling article, written in French!
Not surprising as it's a French company. Incidentally, the Bing translation is rather quaint.
ajmadison wrote: ...tells me the resolution is in the millimeter range, which isn't quite there for the scratch builds I do.
0.1mm is about 0.004inch - pretty good if you ask me.[/quote]

I stand corrected. Looking around more on the Sculpteo web site, I found more information, especially the resolution of the machine/s, and recommendations of minimum "wall" size.
Oroka

Post by Oroka »

Looks like their prices are reasonable too. Maybe I will use for a custom ship I am planning on building.

Think this would be suitable for a 1:2500 star trek ship?

I wish there was some shots of this next to other materials. Maybe I will just order a designed item as a sample.

::update::

They have an offer for a free key chain of your design, you just pay the $6 shipping, so I ordered one to see the quality of the print.