Cheap Plastic globes

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Richard Bartrop

Cheap Plastic globes

Post by Richard Bartrop »

This may be a little late, but I just noticed there in the stores. Coca-Cola is being sold in special "holiday ornament" spherical bottles that are about 4 inches across. the label is just shrink wrapped on, so it's easy to remove. It might be something to look into if you need a largish sphere for a project.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Also - the craft stores are likely having sales on Christmas stuff - like the clear styrene spheres you could use to make your own ornaments. I have a 6 inch diameter set that someday, someway will become the front end of the Discovery.

Kev
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It's also the time of year to by Christmas ornaments on sale. Generally speaking, anything label 'outdoors' or 'unbreakable' are styrene.
Abolish Alliteration
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Kylwell wrote:It's also the time of year to by Christmas ornaments on sale. Generally speaking, anything label 'outdoors' or 'unbreakable' are styrene.
Though, in my experience, styrene and 'unbreakable' ain't synonyms.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yeah, well it dinna matter for me as long as they;re styrene.

One problem with the blow molded ornaments is the walls will vary in thickness.
Abolish Alliteration
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kylwell wrote:It's also the time of year to by Christmas ornaments on sale. Generally speaking, anything label 'outdoors' or 'unbreakable' are styrene.
It's too late now to find ornaments on after-holiday sale, but I do agree that they are a good source and worth remembering to look for them after the next Xmas season. As examples of what can be done, here are two models I built using ornaments:

https://picasaweb.google.com/sfscalemod ... orTheStars

https://picasaweb.google.com/sfscalemod ... TheGalaxy#

I don't believe that all these ornaments are made from styrene but the ones I used were made from a hard, sandable plastic and superglue or epoxy worked just fine.
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

There's some sort of sports drink (like Gatorade or some) that comes in a similar shaped container. I saw a whole bunch of them being sold at Big Lots.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

The problem with that stuff is it's made out of that type of plastic that doesn't react with normal solvent-based glues, so be warned that you'll have to use CA to attach stuff to it or to attach it to something.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

I never read the book, but it's a nice build!

I like to that you used captions to tell the story of the build and not have 50 links here that we have to back and forth on. That's my one pet peeve of this forum... :roll: Yeah I'm cranky today...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Go Flight wrote:I never read the book, but it's a nice build!

I like to that you used captions to tell the story of the build and not have 50 links here that we have to back and forth on. That's my one pet peeve of this forum... :roll: Yeah I'm cranky today...
If you are refering to my Heinlein models, thanks.