making a clear plastic flame - any ideas?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

OdysseySlipways

making a clear plastic flame - any ideas?

Post by OdysseySlipways »

after putting together these cheesy import candles for the front lawn, i'm wanting to make my own candles using PVC (or maybe clear tubing), but am having trouble trying to think of something to use for the flame part. i'll want to light it, so it'll have to be clear, but just can't come up with any easy soultions. i thought about shaping some from foam board and then glassing it over and then clean it out with gas, but would rather find a simpler way.

any ideas?
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Hit Staples/Office Max and look for clear transparencies for overhead projectors. Cut out flame shapes, curve them, cut opposing slots in different pieces so you can interlock them. Hit them with some yellow or orange paint and light them from below with a flashlight in the tube you're using as the candle stem.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by OdysseySlipways »

sort of like them holloween mini cauldron?

interesting thought ........ I thought if i could find something or some way of making the flame hollow, i could fill it with some blinking LED's to make it look like a flame from a distance
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)