Best source/kit for engine bells?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

karim

Best source/kit for engine bells?

Post by karim »

I'm in need of several engine bells for a current build. What I need is 5 or 6 at about 1/2 inch diameter, about a dozen smaller (1/8" - 1/4" dia) and at least one at 3/4"-1" diameter.

I've seen the accessory kits on the SSM store, and I'll be getting a couple of those for the smallest sizes, but I'm thinking I'll need to buy a rocket kit maybe or something similar for the larger nozzles. Since I don't have any good LHSs, I need to order any kits online...

Can anyone recommend good source kits for thruster nozzles 1/2" or larger?
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi karim,

Some of the older larger real space models might have nozzles that are large enough but you'll need to spend a lot of money for a handful of parts. Years ago someone at Wondefest sold large engine bells.

Can you use plastic eggs? While styrene and ABS eggs disappeared from the stores around here a google search for polystyrene eggs will pull up lots of vendors.

You can turn a wooden form on a drill and vacuum form the part.

Mike
karim

Post by karim »

Thanks Wug,

The reason I was asking about kits is that I have neither a lathe, nor a vacuum former ;)

I could build a VF (plan to eventually)... building a lathe is a little more difficult :) I was hoping for a short-cut.

You're probably right though... the various kits I've found have all been fairly pricey.... There's a Saturn V that's not bad, but it only has 5 engines, and I'm not sure of the actual part size.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Aside from vacuform, have you considered possiblity of paper-mache style of fabrication?
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

You could also create cones or frustrums then decorate them with typical engine bell features. Coolant loops, fuel lines, and reinforcement ridges. Cones & frustrums are easy to make and because you're making them yourself, you can control exactly how big or small they are.

You could also take an appropriate bell like shape and do a heat & smash approach using a section of sheet styrene that you've heated up, and pulled over a male master.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Would any of the Mecka Skunk machined bells work?
Abolish Alliteration
dbhs

Post by dbhs »

I used the caps and ends from jumbo markers in my recent build. I couldn't find anything just the right size but these worked for me.

http://www.hanshortes.com/dbhsmodeler/D ... der-63.JPG
Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 »

Small plastic drinking glasses, perhaps as wedding cake decorations, or party favours can be used. Also, try the "Barbie" section of the toy stores, as they have dinner sets for dolls, which may have said shaped glaases in them. Wine glasses often have the right shape for rocket engine bells.

Alvis 3.1
Semper Fried!
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

1/144 Saturn Vs have a bunch- the Airfix is better, and the Pilgrim Observer which is supposed to be re-released has about 4. SF3D/ MaK kits pirated a lot of 1/144 F-1s, but I think they cost more than the Airfix kit. Various space shuttle kits have somewhat decent engine bells too, but honestly check the dollar stores and used toys for usefully shaped bits. For smaller ones, check out boxes of pens at office supply stores. Scans of the instruction sheets for the kits can be seen at:
http://www.ninfinger.org/models/space_models.html
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Many dollar stores carry small glasses in the perfect shape of engine bells. Fill up the glass with Plaster of Paris, break the glass carefully and you have a VF form. Some craft stores (and hardware) carry wooden eggs that make great forms as well.
A good VF can be made in one evening.

TazMan2000
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Andrew Gorman wrote:... and the Pilgrim Observer which is supposed to be re-released has about 4.
I'm fairly certain that there are only 3 of them, and they are molded solid - not open, and rather small as well:

http://www.round2models.com/models/mpc/ ... /mpc713-04

Look closely, and you'll see that the black 'interior' of the engine bells is painted on a flat surface.

- - - -
Edit:
Yep, just checked over on Ninfinger, and the pdf file shows it clearly in step #1.

PDF File:
http://www.ninfinger.org/models/kitplans/mpc9001.pdf
________
Joe Brown
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

But you can always open them up! The Pilgrim Observer has 3 bells plus one for the NERVA engine. The closed end might make the kit parts a better vacuform master. I'll dig some out at xmas and try it.
kerick

Post by kerick »

I found a package of four plastic "trophys" at Wally world for a couple bucks. The cup part of the trophy was 1.25 inch high by 0.75 to 1 inch wide but you could cut it down if you needed.
Also, check the thread on this forum, New Guy seeks Engine/Thrust Bells
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Do you have a Joanne's Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby in your area? Look for some "quilting thimbles". They can make very cool looking engines:

http://www.quiltknit.com/assets/images/ ... mbnail.jpg

http://www.customthimbles.com/wp-conten ... mble_0.jpg
________
Joe Brown
karim

Post by karim »

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've found my source. I wound up redesigning some elements so that I wouldn't need so many different sizes.