3d Printers?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

nicholassagan

3d Printers?

Post by nicholassagan »

I saw a thread a while back about different 3D printing services. Someone mentioned Moddler (.com) and they seem to have good prices for what I am looking to get done.

But has anyone taken a file used in video game design and converted it to an .stl file? Or made it a solid model? Or know any good free or cheap 3D programs for Mac? Or know any other single project 3D printing services that run cheap?
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

About the viddy game file....the polygon count would be way too low to print anything smooth. Most of the smoothness you see in-game comes from mathematical manipulation of the welded sides of the polygons resulting in a visual trick produced by the video card.

As for the Mac question....sorry, no idea. I'm not that cool. ;)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Cheap is as cheap gets. The higher the cos the smoother the print.

As to low cost apps for the Mac, try Carrara.
Abolish Alliteration
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Blender (free) and skienforge if you're serious about stl printing.
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Blender (free) and skienforge if you're serious about stl printing.
night_tea0

Post by night_tea0 »

Shapeways (provides sales service)
http://www.shapeways.com
Ninja Magic (fine detail metal master)
http://www.ninjamagic.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=23&
Print a part (high resolution)
http://www.printapart.com/

Hope that helps :D
Maethius

Shapeways

Post by Maethius »

Egad... I think this company could bankrupt me! What a fantastic resource... especially if you have 3D modeling skills. Thank you VERY much for this link!

Post by naoto »

You want afforadble?
http://www.makerbot.com/
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

naoto wrote:You want affordable?
http://www.makerbot.com/
I'm actually thinking about building something along these lines (but probably RepRap, 'cause the print bed is significantly larger) - but it's an expensive proposition ($1000 or more, most likely) - and if the results from professional fabrication machines is a bit crude, results from hobbyist printers are downright primitive...
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

JadedMonk wrote:Blender (free) and skienforge if you're serious about stl printing.
Especially if you're going to use a Mac (and I'm not intentionally bad mouthing the mac... I own one) do a fly before buy option with any CAD software you intend to use. I am absolutely stunned that IMSI took my money for the software they gave me. Takes me back to the bad old days of computing. I'll be drawing, and get the spinning wheel of death. Or I'll be drawing, and suddenly, poof-gone! Not even the option of a force close. There has even been one system crash. OK. Enough bashing that package.

Blender is good, can't comment on its stability, though, didn't use it enough, maybe I should.

Another alternative here, which is different from 3D printing, is getting a desk top laser engraver. It has a bunch of names, but laser engraver will find what I'm talking about on evil bay. And yes, it only cuts sheets, but alot of what we make are boxy shapes with appliques. If you had something that did all of the grunt work, assembly may take longer, but is more "affordable" than a high-precision 3D printer. My current estimates are still around $2K to reaching the point of producing usable parts, but the price has been steadily declining. If the high end machines are coming down in price, our hobbiest cousins over in the scrapbooking aisle may reach our needs from below. The current stencil & cut-out machines do not have the sub-millimeter accuracy we need for scratchbuilding, but they're improving. Some are two orders of magnitude out, some are only one. So a scrap booking machine may never be able to churn out detailed pieces for a 1/1000 starship model, its reasonable to think a future machine may be able to produce the bulkheads, profiles, and exterior panels for a model project. At which point a custom scratchbuild may start looking an awful lot like a Guillow's balsa wood model.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

ajmadison wrote: Blender is good, can't comment on its stability, though, didn't use it enough, maybe I should.
I've used Blender for a while: here is the full list of defects I have personally encountered with it:
  • There was a bug on Mac for a while which would cause text rendering to fail (i.e. buttons and everything with no labels!) This was a consequence of Blender's UI being implemented in OpenGL (which it isn't in current versions) and a video driver issue from several years back. There was a work-around, but it required you to blind-navigate the configuration panel.
  • Boolean operations on two meshes would generate bad results - some of this is just a consequence of how Booleans work. I don't know if they've improved the implementation of Booleans, but Booleans aren't really the best way to make things in Blender anyway.
  • Some other mesh modifiers like "bevel" and so on would produce bad effects in certain cases
  • If you render a mesh that has a twisted or concave quad in it, you can get weird rendering artifacts as a result. (Quads are a rendering optimization... If you have three points in space, they're always coplanar. If you have four points in space, this isn't necessarily true. But if you assume they are, you can render the quad more efficiently than if the quad were split into two triangles.) The answer, of course, is make sure your quads are planar and convex (or at least very close) - though I've always wondered if one could enter into a situation where a mesh deform (like skinning to an armature, etc.) could wind up twisting a quad and producing a visible distortion... 'Course, how would you solve that, really? Abandon the quads optimization? Perform planarity checks on all quads at each frame of an animation?
So, yeah. Blender's good stuff. :)
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
travisc

Post by travisc »

Sketchup can export stl files with the correct plug-in
there is also plug-in by the Phlatboyz.com that is called the Phlatscript, that turns sketchup into a CAD/CAM by assinging g code and if you have access to a 3 axis cnc, you can cut out your parts.
They are verry close to making it cut 3d shapes as well the plug-in is free to download and use.
MEATLOAFr

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Blender is what I use, it can load files from 3dMax, lightwave, and export into many diffrent file types, will also let you increase poly counts to smooth out your model

I'm working on saving some money to do some 3D printing, I've found a 3D printer that you couild build yourself for just $1,225... has a 7 week lead time to get it... hopefully enouph time for me to save the cash

http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html

It used PVC to make thinkgs, also hace glow-in-the-dark materal

Materal is $65 fo 5 pounds of PVC
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

MEATLOAFr wrote:Blender is what I use, it can load files from 3dMax, lightwave, and export into many diffrent file types, will also let you increase poly counts to smooth out your model

I'm working on saving some money to do some 3D printing, I've found a 3D printer that you couild build yourself for just $1,225... has a 7 week lead time to get it... hopefully enouph time for me to save the cash

Just beware the resolution is pretty coarse.
Abolish Alliteration
MEATLOAFr

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Kylwell wrote:Just beware the resolution is pretty coarse.
That's when the fun begins
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

The Makerbot Thing-o-matic got quite a reception at the CES. :)
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

Duj meQ!
Dieghigno

Post by Dieghigno »

I was thinking to go for a 3d printing to make a Defiant in scale with ERTL DS9, since I couldn't find one...
Dieghigno

Post by Dieghigno »

My 1/3300 scale defiant are coming... :D :D :D
erospawn

Post by erospawn »

MEATLOAFr wrote:Blender is what I use, it can load files from 3dMax, lightwave, and export into many diffrent file types, will also let you increase poly counts to smooth out your model

I'm a little scared of something called a Thing-o-Matic..But, the price is something I would very much consider. I don't know how coarse the actual output would be, but it could be sanded or whatever to smooth it out right? Aside from that, you could make smaller parts to be assembled later.

Are there better options out there than this?
See my other builds at
http://www.skunkwurkzmodels.com
Oroka

Post by Oroka »

I have ordered a sample keychain from the 3D printer mentioned in THIS thread, I will test the quality of the print detail and how it responds to sanding, scribing, painting.

I have a few ideas that this would make extremely more simple if I can just have the part printed.
linesiders

Post by linesiders »

erospawn wrote:
MEATLOAFr wrote: I'm a little scared of something called a Thing-o-Matic..But, the price is something I would very much consider. I don't know how coarse the actual output would be, but it could be sanded or whatever to smooth it out right? Aside from that, you could make smaller parts to be assembled later.

Are there better options out there than this?
As stated earlier, quality quickly drives the price up but the RepRap community is build quality and driving the price down. I'm in the very early part of a build but I'm expecting to be between 550-750. Of course like everything else, once you start it never ends unless it ends badly a/d/or the wife's involved.