Tank Wheels

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Spaceship_Modeler

Tank Wheels

Post by Spaceship_Modeler »

Tank Wheels

In the wonderful "Alien Builders" documentaries which I think almost any sci fi modeler will enjoy. (http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html) They mention that tank wheels were verboten as dead give aways, yet, is there a use for them? Can they be used in such a way that they aren't a dead giveaway?

Are there categories of parts that are off the menu like this? Or is there a way to background and disguise almost anything?

In my opinion when layering nurnies such as exists in parts of the depths of the trench detail in the two classes of ISDs in SW they could have broken the tank wheel rule (the didn't) because they could have put them a couple of layers down in the Arizona, and Carrier sidewall parts, etc.

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And tank tracks & car blowers weren't a dead give-a-way?
Abolish Alliteration
Spaceship_Modeler

Tank tracks have been and are for me but at the same time, having said that, there are a few places I can think of where they can look great, one is as a trim on farings around engine exhaust clusters, but when they are just laid out on a hull, then no, all I see then is dead boring, dead giveaway.

Blowers, I just love, I guess they are dead recognizable, but for the kind of recognizability that is joy added!

But that's subjective, so not really applicable as a guideline.
Wug

Post by Wug »

With enough work and some cleverness you can use almost any part. Tank wheels are put to good use here.

http://sf3d0.tripod.com/id24.html

That said there are a bunch of parts that are hard to conceal. Tank wheels and superchargers certainly make the list. Wheel halves from armored car and military truck kits usually look like wheel halves. V-8 engine/transmission halves and most valve covers are dead give-aways. Drop tanks look like drop tanks but they're sleek and swoopy so we like them.

There's a genre that evokes a "Ohmygod that's a ..." response. John Douglass is a master of this.

http://www.artships.com/
Spaceship_Modeler

wow, stacking, that's great use, you are right.

Douglas doesn't seem to care about using tank wheels flat.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

One of the most iconic of spacecraft, the Rebel Blockade Runner (aka Tantive IV) has an incredible number of unmodified tank wheels, tank tracks, valve covers all over it. I have mixed feelings about how successful their usage is, even though this is one of my favorite movie starships of all time.

I think the important concept to keep in mind with using any kit part, is not so much disguising what it originally was, but, what purpose is it conveying by its presence. Alot of FX miniatures get away with detailing bits that have an ambiguous purpose. Its just lumpy bits. The blockade runner may be the best example of this. It was also one of the earliest examples of an FX miniature from the new era of effects, and the art craft was in its infancy.

But more and more, the presence of some detailing bit is meant to convey some real world purpose. An emergency flush vent on a fuel pump. Directed energy weapon power converter. So I'm not saying a tank wheel can't be made to convey that purpose, but its more difficult, because its original purpose is so unambiguous. Also, a kit part can made to look appropriate if its original purpose is similar to the model's conveyed purpose. The intake & vents on the King Tiger engine deck are similar to regulators & emergency exhaust venting on a sci-fi spacecraft, so it looks appropriate on a BSG Viper or on the engines of the Tantive IV.
Spaceship_Modeler

Thank you for your informative responses!