Discarded CD jewel cases

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

zaphod

Discarded CD jewel cases

Post by zaphod »

I recently salvaged some discarded CD jewel cases that were cracked or had broken hinges. I looked at the recycling symbol and it says, 'PS' which I hope is polystyrene. I also noticed that the clear parts crack in the same way that a window from a model kit cracks. :holmes:

You guys probably know about this, but in case ya didn't, here's a source of cheap raw materials.
Have a good weekend! :D
Zaphod
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
naoto

Post by naoto »

Yep.... I too have a pile of the clear CD cases -- all with the hinge part broken (they pretty much fail in the same place too). Have been saving them because they looked like useful material for scratchbuilding.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Especially the ribbed sides and the center 'spindle'/disc holder: great for greeblies.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Quite right. The center can be made into an airlock, hatch, etc..
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I used to use them as model bases. Glue together and then spray with a suitable base colour, add some landscaping there you are. Good for 1/72 AFVs, 1/144 aircraft and smaller 1/72 aircraft etc
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I used them as concrete panels in a hangar diorama ...
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I use them in lighting, myself. What I'll do is cut a slit in the model where a strip of lights would be in the ship, then mask off where I want lights or windows and then leave the mask on till I paint the ship.

Alternatively you can cut the clear piece into strips as wide as your windows are tall, then file them down till they fit snugly into the slot you cut for the windows.

Since the material channels light, it works a lot like fiber optics filament.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have some of the blank computer cd tower stacks with 200 discs in you buy and the lid on the top is clear plastic affair with ribbing from the centre out, it would make a cracking ships auditorium affair where they could view the stars through on a large scale ship. the lip on it would allow it to be set recessed or flush with the top or side of the ship and you could paint the ribs to make them structural..
david bailey

follow up reply

Post by david bailey »

I too save cd cases,have been for years. I use them to make small homemade display cases for for small odd ball collectiables.I A colect all kind of collectiables from star wars,star trek, comic collectables,and small toys. I save all the scrapes and use them as well.This stuff cuts real easy with a coping hand saw or a jewlers saw with a fine tooth blade[but you have to be careful it is very fragile and cracks easy. So you have to go slow when cutting.So rather than buying different size display cases ,i make mine own. There real easy to build and make. So if you want another use,here it is. I have tons because i buy a bunch at a time. I make them as i need them and it helps have extras when i need them.Basically you build a box with four wall and a roof,but you make the bottom false to put your collectiable in. I use regular testors glue in the red tube it doesn't fog up the plastic like some glues do.When your finished you can clean them with glass cleaner and polish them .
david bailey
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Wow, great ideas here. Lighting, display cases, concrete panels, the list goes on. I didn't completely visualize TonyT's idea, but I'll reread.

For concrete panels, I can see hitting them with some primer, and then with Liquitex Pumice Gel or other acrylic medium. Water-washup spackling compound would probably also work.

Dang, thanks for the ideas, glad I started this thread! :D
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Pictures worth a thousand words :)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... g/case.jpg

thats the lid some of my CD's come with on the stack, as it is recessed, painting the stiffners as a frame then mounting it flush it could be a large window on a ship, either in the top or the side, paint the whole thing add grilles it could be an intake etc......
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Hey, now we're talking. That reminds be of the final scene of Empire Strikes Back, looking at the galaxy. I'll keep my eye open for those.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I just talk with my younger brother. He plays a miniatures game called Warmachine, and his team has a religious flavor. He plans to take a clear piece and reassemble the pieces to make a sort of stained glass affair. I recommended Tamiya clear, and he already knows about the goodness of Future. He makes me so proud.... :cry:
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Zubie

Re: Discarded CD jewel cases

Post by Zubie »

You know, if you have a free standing model that fit on top, CD jewel cases can make nice stands pretty much As-Is. Just print a small blurb about the respective model in a form that fits the jewel case. Then just sit the model on top. I built paper models of American V2s; the first White Sands rocket, Bumper, and Buy Bonds (high altitude atms. sampler) and put them on top of a jewel case with an insert that explained each. Quite nice I thought.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
naoto

Re:

Post by naoto »

TonyT wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:40 pm Pictures worth a thousand words :)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... g/case.jpg

thats the lid some of my CD's come with on the stack, as it is recessed, painting the stiffners as a frame then mounting it flush it could be a large window on a ship, either in the top or the side, paint the whole thing add grilles it could be an intake etc......
Ah yes, if you're the one to buy recordable optical media (e.g CD-R, DVD-R, etc) in quantities of 50 or 100, the packaging of spindle-packs can indeed be useful.
I'm lazy, so I'd often used the base and spindle from the spindle pack as a "quick-and-dirty" model rocket stand -- just affix an empty motor casing to the spindle so that the model is positioned at the right height. I can spray-paint the base flat black to make it less noticeable.
the "blanks" you sometimes get on those spindle packs (usually they're at the top and bottom of the spindle pack) of optical discs can be useful too. Though being made of polycarbonate, so they're much tougher than clear polystyrene -- though you'll have to use something other than the usual model glue to glue it.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人