$%#^*@ing Lathe.....

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

novahobbies

$%#^*@ing Lathe.....

Post by novahobbies »

:evil: So I finally got to a point where I'm getting some serious work on the Spacedock done. I've got my stock for the connecting tubes pre-formed to a close size, and I went out to the lathe for the first time in what seems like forever. Chucked the stock in, centered it nice and even, and turned it on. Got one pass on the tool before the stock started slowing down, then stopped completely. The motor wasn't seizing, but I quickly turned it off and checked the gearbox.

Yup. The drive belt was frayed all to hell, with pieces of it wrapped around the motor shaft. :evil: :evil: Nobody around here stocks this sort of part, so it's a 2 week minimum wait before I can get back on this again.

The real bi@$% of it is I can't even do my small stress-relief side project because it, too was a lathe project..just on a much smaller scale.

SIGH.......
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, reboot.
Order shall return.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You could try rigging a temp one out of an old pair of nylons... if that helps.

I'd also order 2 belts for when the next one goes. Double check all the pulley surfaces and surrounding areas to make sure there's nothing around causing premature wear.
Abolish Alliteration
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

DEEP breaths.

take deep, calming breaths.
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
novahobbies

Post by novahobbies »

Kylwell wrote:You could try rigging a temp one out of an old pair of nylons... if that helps.

I'd also order 2 belts for when the next one goes. Double check all the pulley surfaces and surrounding areas to make sure there's nothing around causing premature wear.
How did you know I wore.......??? Umm, nevermind. :wink:

We're on the same page here I think. There's a timing belt, a drive belt, and a belt to control turning speed. I''m ordering new ones of all three. Like car belts, usually if one fails due to age, the others aren't too far behind. I decided to use this as an opportunity to pull it apart and check all the lube points. I found the parts I need from littlemachineshop.com, and their shipping isn't too bad. If I order it tonight, I should get the belts by mid-week next week actually.

I just REALLY wanted to get some solid work on the mushroom done. Oh, well.

Gerry. Deep breaths taken. Beer drunk (since I wasn't gonna be working on the machine). I'm better now, thanks. :D
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, reboot.
Order shall return.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well maybe you could form some kid of rudimentary lathe.... oh come on, you all know you wanted to say it. :D
Abolish Alliteration
novahobbies

Post by novahobbies »

Kylwell wrote:Well maybe you could form some kid of rudimentary lathe.... oh come on, you all know you wanted to say it. :D
LOL You got me.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, reboot.
Order shall return.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

If it is a common V-belt, you may be able to substitute a regular automotive belt, if you can find one the right size. Auto parts dealers like Napa have a huge variety of belts, and often cheaper than the ones from the lathe manufacturer.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
novahobbies

Post by novahobbies »

Nope, the drive belt is a special toothed belt that connects to a stepdown pulley, and you can adjust the speed by moving the v-belt (which is fine) to different positions between the drive, the stepdown and the tool pulley.

The good news is that the motor also has a direct pulley to connect to the tool shaft via the v-belt pulley, so I can continue to work, but these are meant for faster turning speeds than I really need. So, I've been getting a little work done while I'm waiting for the drive belt to come in. Higher RPM's = much, much more caution in the workplace. Instead of double-checking my settings and tool locations, I've turned in to some sort of obsessive-compulsive freak before I turn the lathe on. I probably check for where I put the chuck key about 10 times before I start it up. :D
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, reboot.
Order shall return.