Punch and Die sets

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Phantom

Punch and Die sets

Post by Phantom »

looking to buy a punch and die set but can't seem to find anyone selling them.. does anyone know where i can buy one from?

i would appreciate a PM if you know anyone selling them at a reasonable price...hannants in the UK want almos £90 !
ScaleModelWorld.net

"The most efficient killing machine ever invented and you've got it doing laundry" John Connor
Scott Hasty

Re: Punch and Die sets

Post by Scott Hasty »

Phantom wrote:looking to buy a punch and die set but can't seem to find anyone selling them.. does anyone know where i can buy one from?

i would appreciate a PM if you know anyone selling them at a reasonable price...hannants in the UK want almos £90 !
YOW, 90 quid?!

How about this...
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

just ordered them...many thanks !

including shipping it was jsut over $51
ScaleModelWorld.net

"The most efficient killing machine ever invented and you've got it doing laundry" John Connor
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

Anyone know why these things are so expensive? I've never got a set because it seems like there's not that amount of material in the things for the price.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

You want less expensive

Harbor Freight = $27

Or This One for $6
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Sluis Van Shipyards wrote:Anyone know why these things are so expensive? I've never got a set because it seems like there's not that amount of material in the things for the price.
The same reason you wouldn't build a model for someone just for the price of the kit alone. Material costs are usually the cheapest part of a job. Drilling and reaming a pair of matching holes in a die and a wiper, (the clear plastic piece that you sandwich your stock with), and keying them to each other is easy, and doesn't take much time. Building a die and wiper with seventeen holes, all a different size, is time consuming. Then you have to turn seventeen different punches, each one exactly .001 smaller than the corresponding hole. Even so, it would be cheap, if you were going to make ten thousand sets. But in the hobby industry, you're only going to sell a few dozen sets in a year, maybe a hundred. The price goes up.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

Micro-Mark has started to carry the mini punch and dies.
The ones similar to the Waldron set. I like that style and the Micromark set seams at a reasonable price.

I have the Waldron Micro set and the Historex hex sided (nut) set.
For any scratch builder these are essential tools.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
Jon Kunatz

Post by Jon Kunatz »

Where do you get the Hex nut sets?
Appologies for the Captain Oblivious type question.
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
Jon Kunatz

Post by Jon Kunatz »

DP again....
nertz
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

USS Atlantis wrote:You want less expensive

Harbor Freight = $27

Or This One for $6
The Harbor Freight punch & die set is a piece of crap for fine work. Fine for punching holes out of gasket material but horrid for styrene work. Loose fit and non-hardened metal makes them seriously sloppy.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Jon Kunatz wrote:Where do you get the Hex nut sets?
I couldn't locate a (current!) manufacturer with a quick Google.

Finding round punch sets is fairly easy. Hex, not so much. Be prepared to spend real money, or, lots of time -- which as we all get older is VERY expensive!
There also is the do-it-yourself technique.

http://ultrawerke.blogspot.com/2007/08/ ... orial.html

http://15mmvsf.bagofmice.com/vsf/builder_rivets.html
________
Joe Brown
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

I did this review for the Micromark Punch and Die Set

After a year of mild use, the hole for the 1.5mm punch is a little wonky from use.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

I've got a set that a local modeller, who's also a professional tool & die maker, made almost 20 years ago. The big difference is that it has 10 different punches from .029" up to about .22" and that the wiper is almost a quarter inch thick. This has ensured that the punch & die line up time after time. After almost 20 years and a lot of use, punching material up to .080" thick, this puppy is still in perfect condition. He also made a small brake for bending PE long before the Etch-mate and its competitors were on the market. Solid steel all round with a nice 1/4-20 thread on the clamp knob and, again, after a lot of use, it's still in perfect shape.

Pitty he doesn't make them any more, but they were quite expensive when I got them, $45 in about 1994. I worried about the cost a bit when I got it, but it's more than paid for itself over the years.

I have a Waldron hex punch set and, with much less usage, it is starting to be a bit wonky on the smallest size. The larger ones work fine, but I need them far less.

YMMV

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!