using putty: where do I start?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

tyler

using putty: where do I start?

Post by tyler »

I've been slapping together little ships out of random bits of plastic junk for a couple of years now, but I want them to look a little well... better.

Are there any good tutorials regarding the use of putty? What brands do you guys use? Special tools or techniques I should know/use?
Battlestar Galaga
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Tyler,

HEad over to the "Construction" Forum.

For sculpting, scratchbuilding and deep corrections, the absolute best is Aves. Follow the Abbey of Aves thread to learn how to use the stuff. Email me at khjr[at]gmail.com and I'll send you a document Terry (TER-OR) and I wrote on using Aves and other putties. We used it to teach a class at Wonderfest a couple of years ago.

For minor corrections, follow the Fillers and Surface Corrections thread. There's some great stuff in there.

This should get you started.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Aves has achieved deity status here on the Starship Modeler forum, so you should probably look into getting some and just playing with it. Experiment. It's truly wonderful stuff, and you'll wonder where it has been all your life. :8)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Also make sure you know the difference in the various Aves products

My uses

Aves Apoxie Sculpt - Useful for creating new bits and pieces and for major gap sealing - when mixed is about the consistency of other two-part fillers such as Milliput - about that of a very stiff clay

It's what I used to turn THIS into THAT

Aves Apoxie Paste - Useful for large scale smoothing and filling smaller gaps - when mixed is about the consistency of 1-part fillers such as Testors and Squadron White or Green - about that of petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog