Superhero capes

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Ziz

Superhero capes

Post by Ziz »

I need to create a couple of capes for the Revell/Aurora repop Superman and Batman. Anyone got any techniques to go about this?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Rocketeer »

Put a blob of Milliput between two sheets of clear flexible plastic (like a big ziploc bag). Roll it out with a rolling pin until it's maybe 0.040 thick. Wait half an hour or so until the putty is partially set; peel off the plastic; cut to shape.

Attach to the figure's shoulders with superglue or pin it temporarily; drape the tail of the cape artistically over some balls of wadded paper; wait for the putty to cure completely.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... CN2032.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... CN2033.jpg
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Would Aves Apoxie Clay work as well? I have plenty of that available. How long does the Milliput stay flexible? Do I roll it out flat and shape it after it's on the figure or do I need to create a form for it to lay down over and harden to shape? If that's the case, then I'm back to where I started since I might as well just use the form as the cape rather than create one with putty.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Rocketeer »

I've never worked with Aves, but from what I've heard it ought to do fine.

Milliput's hardening time depends on ambient temperature; after about half an hour, it's cured enough to peel away the plastic sheets, but flexible enough to be formed into a cape. After about an hour, it's not workable any more, and after overnight it's nice and hard.

On the figure in the links I gave, I tacked the upper edge of the "cape" to the figure's hips (I think I used super glue), then draped the loose part over a rough form made of wadded paper and a couple dowels. No reason you couldn't use modelling clay as a form, or anything that had the rounded contours you want.

Heck, go experiment with it! If one way doesn't work, trash it and try another! Be bloody bold and resolute! Laugh to scorn the power of man!
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Here is what I did for a few figures.

I used real material that was soaked in a solution that my wife uses to prevent her quilt-work from fraying.

The solution stiffened the material once it was shaped and held the shape.

NOt sure what it was called, was a japanese product anyway. BUt similar should be available overseas. Ask the Missus.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Soak silk in white (PVA) glue diluted 40% with water for about half hour. Take out and hang to dry (not over the carpet, please!). In a couple of hours you get fabric that can be shaped, but will hold its shape.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Ok, maybe an image would help.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6858/supermanyt3.jpg

I'm trying to do something close to that cape. Actually, I'm trying to do exactly that cape, as that's the pose I've modified the figure into.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Okay here is what I'd do if you want a thin cape. Scultp a negative of the shape in sculpy on a flat surface. Or use non sulphur modeling clay. when you get the folds like you want them, Bake the sculpy and ust it as a press mold for your rolled out sheet. Just make sure to lightly oil the ziplock bag before you roll it out. I use PAM because it is easy to clean off with dish soap.

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

One trick picked up from a toy sculptor...

go to Michael's ( or similar store ) and look for their thin mesh screening in the craft goods section...I've seen gold and silver versions.
Roll out epoxy putty very thin and press the ( cut slightly undersized ) screen in to the putty...trim 1/16" past the putty...repeat for the other surface.
Let the putty set up to a firm stage and shape ( the screen will help hold the shape.) and trim and sand when fully set.
This will also work with Sculpy.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

That's a great technique! and by using sculpy you can take your time to get the folds just like you want them.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

modelnutz wrote:One trick picked up from a toy sculptor...

go to Michael's ( or similar store ) and look for their thin mesh screening in the craft goods section...I've seen gold and silver versions.
Roll out epoxy putty very thin and press the ( cut slightly undersized ) screen in to the putty...trim 1/16" past the putty...repeat for the other surface.
Let the putty set up to a firm stage and shape ( the screen will help hold the shape.) and trim and sand when fully set.
This will also work with Sculpy.
THAT'S IT! I KNEW there had to be a way to create the shape all at once and essentially just texture it and fine tune the edges.

THANK YOU!
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by modelnutz »

Yer welcome :D

Of course..the very best way to make a super thin cape is to use toy maker's wax ( Azbro is one...Garyo's is another)
Using that technique, you take fine cloth ( or even paper) and coat both sides with a thin layer of wax....trim to size...heat ( carefully) with a hot air gun and shape to the final contours.
Result is a very thin, firm cape.
Actually, bee's wax might work for this technique as well.

You might want to check out a site called statueforum.com and search out a guy by the name of Ray Villafane....an absolute MASTER of this technique.
What this guy can do with wax, clay and sculpy will BLOW YOU AWAY !
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I'm not worried that much about thickness, if it's 1/16" or 3/32" isn't a big deal to me. My problem was that I didn't want to have to puzzle it together from a million smaller pieces.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.