Greebilizing...

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

I have never done anything worth showing but I did find some very good articles on greebies. They were written by John Selvia at lyzrdstomp.com. I think he as passed on and website went with him. So this is posted with out permission. The webiste is now gone but I did save some of the articles as a PDF if you would like to see them. These are some of the best articles I have seen, they are about balance. They are more theory and ideas than a how to which is much better IMHO.

Page 6 and on are the meat of the ideas
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... part_4.pdf

http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... part_3.pdf

Create your own "real" alien font
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... part_5.pdf

Parts 1-3 of the series
http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... mplete.pdf

This article is what actually pushed me over the edge to try to scratch build stuff. It a shame he passed on I would have loved to see a book by the guy.

Hope this helps.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

I was stunned when John passed away; I am personally pleased that you had saved those pages. Thank you! He was one of the best at taking a difficult subject and making it easy to grasp.

I found a memorial on him on a blog:
John Selvia passed away suddenly at the young age of 45. John is probably known best for his popular site lyzrdstomp.com. The site brings together a community that shared John’s interests such as art, computers, video-games, and language (he was learning Russian).

John Selvia passed away Tuesday, March 18, 2008 from a heart attack.

In the late 80s, he defeated cancer.

In the 90s, he won two Emmys for his graphic art talent for channel 2 in Dayton.

In the 00s, he married his long-time companion, Lisa.
________
Joe Brown
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Very interesting and he does have a lot of good points on how to construct specific details, but I must say that I am not a fan of his end results. As I said above, for me items on the model must have a purpose, must make sense. His approach is to just throw stuff down on the model for the sake of texture. Yes, there is asymetry and balance and a lot of the other artist concepts of form, but many (not all, of course) of the end result looks jumbled and inelegant. Good engineering is elegant and the end result is the minimum needed to get the job done. His ship and his weapon look messy to me. Overly complicated.

This is not to deny his skill, just that his style is not for me.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

@Greasyspoon
Thank you for posting that- I have looked in vain for that tutorial, not knowing what happened to lyzrdstomp, and John. I believe it is one of the first things I have seen that closely represents what I do: find ordinary objects and incorporate them into my builds in a not-so-obvious way.

I wish John's survivors the best.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
Joseph C. Brown

Sort of a bump... there was a thread in Construction that made me think I should see about gathering up all the varied threads about Greebles / Greeblies / detailing and see about:

A) possibly combining them

and

B) Making the result a 'sticky'
________
Joe Brown
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

If this one doesn't achieve "sticky" status, it will be a crime. Detailing a model is a huge part of the fun of Sci Fi modeling. Greebling is a large part of detailing. This is the first time I had ever seen a treatise on "how to greeble properly".... and I feel it was well done. BRAVO! Many tips were digested, as I have read the many replies on this topic.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Joseph C. Brown wrote:Sort of a bump... there was a thread in Construction that made me think I should see about gathering up all the varied threads about Greebles / Greeblies / detailing and see about:

A) possibly combining them

and

B) Making the result a 'sticky'
Bump it upline and see if the admins will agree.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph C. Brown

...and I suspect I know the answer already:

"Joe, didn't you know that you can do that yourself?"

:8)
________
Joe Brown
G-man

Post by G-man »

My thoughts are that this one and the "sources for greeblies" thread should be combined in some way. They go hand in hand and are both good resources for beginners and veterans alike.

I also submit that perhaps John should add Greeblies, Greebalize, Greebilate, Nurney...and all other variations therein, to the spell check for the site :D

George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
Wug

Post by Wug »

Could you put the original articles on the main SSM site?
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I have tried to save these for myself, but I can't even manage to select them for printing. Any hints, anyone?
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Also, don't forget this great word:

One word:

Kotubukiya

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/276/0/1

These parts by Kotobukiya are a bit clumsy and are really meant for fighting suit models, but sometimes are exactly what you need and, in these sized packages are cheap enough to buy a bunch for stock, like having lots of Evergreen strip.

Hobby Link Japan also stocks these (or they did, anyway).

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

So does the Starship Modeler store
Abolish Alliteration
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Scotaidh,

The links to he pdfs worked OK for me. I' running the current version of Firefox on an old Widows machine. Right Click, Save Lin As... worked fine.

If you still have trouble, I could email the pdfs or html versions I downloaded a long time ago.

Mike
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Wug wrote:Hi Scotaidh,

The links to he pdfs worked OK for me. I' running the current version of Firefox on an old Widows machine. Right Click, Save Lin As... worked fine.

If you still have trouble, I could email the pdfs or html versions I downloaded a long time ago.

Mike

Thanks, Mike - that worked. I feel kinda sheepish - I never thought of saving them that way ... I was trying to copy & paste into Word.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas! :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
BarbaraSantini

RE:

Post by BarbaraSantini »

Greeting! Here is the link for you to follow --spam--, when you need to check the texts written by you! Cheers!
Joseph C. Brown

Re: RE:

BarbaraSantini wrote:Greeting! Here is the link for you to follow --spam--, when you need to check the texts written by you! Cheers!
If you choose to return and post something about scratchbuilding sci-fi models, great! Otherwise, that post is suspiciously spam-bot-like. Bad grammar, too.
________
Joe Brown
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

This is still a good thread to review occasionally.

Maybe some of you have already done this. It has recently dawned on me that masking tape is pretty cool to use as a material for very thin raised panels, and accents. It has a slight texture so it may not be right for some projects, but it does look pretty good on projects where texture is desired. Very thin strips of tape can be curved a little and may contour to difficult surfaces too which is great. And, of course, it sticks and paints well. Once painted it's pretty much a permanent fixture.

Of course you'll want to make your pre-cuts on a clean hard surface. Glass is perfect. A sharp new blade is a must.

Speedster :)
Did I just see a Ford fly by?