3-D printer for the home

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Andrew Gorman

3-D printer for the home

Post by Andrew Gorman »

They are getting cheaper... In the Current issue of Make magazine there is an article on a (barely) less than $1000.00 US 3-D printer, the Maker Bot Cupcake. Looks pretty interesting for you early adopters. The designers even compare it to an Altair or Apple I. Here are a couple of links:
Manufacturer
http://www.makerbot.com/

One under construction:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/1 ... ducti.html

Definitely not a 3-d toaster, but looks like an interesting project!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Aw, I was hoping it was going to be the kind of 3D printer that "grows" objects from a 3D file... That looks like just a straight CNC machine.

Incidentally, the other day I came across a bunch of articles on Instructables on how to make your own CNC machine.

Too ambitious for me though. :shock:

-Rog
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Ah but look again, it may bear a superficial similarity to a CNC, but mounted on those axis is an ABS extruder. The Makerbot builds your object up instead of milling it down. I think the comparison to an Altair is quite apt.

cheers,
JM
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Oh, okay, the Makezine link threw me because the first page is mostly filled with pictures of a homemade CNC machine, not the CupCake machine. You have to click through the pages to get to the actual 3D printer article for some reason...because the first thing I think to do when showing off my new car is to show pictures of my old one...? :roll:

Anyway, the CupCake is definitely a completely different piece of equipment and does indeed print 3D shapes. Pretty cool.

-Rog
nash30

Post by nash30 »

Rogviler wrote:Aw, I was hoping it was going to be the kind of 3D ink printer that "grows" objects from a 3D file... That looks like just a straight CNC machine.

Incidentally, the other day I came across a bunch of articles on Instructables on how to make your own CNC machine.

Too ambitious for me though. :shock:

-Rog
the link is not opening.. :( would want to see it.. i am about to purchase a marketbot printer this week..
Last edited by nash30 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Okay, so, how long until you can do this at home?
3D-printed titanium jaw allows 83-year-old to bypass risky reconstructive surgery
Digital TrendsBy Jeff Hughes | Digital Trends – 5 hrs ago
http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printed-titani ... 38528.html
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011