casting question

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

casting question

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

I have to make 4 copies of an engine from a Buck Rogers Starfighter for my XJ and was wondering. Would it be okay to do a one-piece mold poured in from the top (fuselage side of engine), or a 2 piece mold? I've only just cast small 1 piece molds before (TIE engines) and am apprehensive about a 2-piece for a round shape.

Any thoughts?
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I Gooooooooogled the images and if it's the main engine thrusters you're talking about, here's what I would do if I were to cast them. I'd use a one piece mold, but I would "jeweler's" cut the mold to ease extraction. Here's a quickie tutorial.

Do your one piece mold with RTV, after curing, take a FRESH ULTRA SHARP exacto blade and cut into one side of the mold, alternating directions, the more edges the better. This pic is kind of what I mean. The rough edges mean it gets a better grip and less slip than a regular straight edge would, less chance of misalignment. When you get to the inside edge of your mold (the part that meets the master) try to cut down along the edges of any detail on the master (like panel lines, raised edges, etc.) that way, most of your cut will be hidden, less flash!

Rubber band your mold (but not too tight!) and pour your resin. After curing, peel away the one side you cut, and you should be able to pull your part out.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Hmmm.... leared well, my young paduan has.... :D
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Yeah, he has done good -- but his pic choice was...

disturbing. :D
________
Joe Brown
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

You should have seen what ELSE came up on Goooooooole with the safe search off... :shock:
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Lonnie Sweet

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

Where did you find that pic? It looks like it's from the school of veterinary medicine?

I'm gonna try it.

But JIC Plan B is: Any casters in Canada?
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

What you need dude?? :D

No job too small.
No charge too excessive.
No deadline met.

Wait. What??
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

Johnnycrash wrote: No job too small.
No charge too excessive.
No deadline met.
Boy, you made my day. :D
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Um, I'm in Buffalo....some people think that's Canada ;-)
davidwinter

Post by davidwinter »

modelnutz wrote:Um, I'm in Buffalo....some people think that's Canada ;-)
Only the Bills...
That's one bad hat Harry.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

A two piece mold isn't really that hard. There are plenty of resources on the internet with easy ideas, such as substituting mold release with vaseline (a product that may already be in your home). Why not expand your skills and try a two piece mold? It may start a new era in your model making.

TazMan2000
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Joseph C. Brown wrote:Yeah, he has done good -- but his pic choice was...

disturbing. :D
Ahh. So God IS a modeler. Haha! Take that Pope!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Stu Pidasso wrote:I Gooooooooogled the images and if it's the main engine thrusters you're talking about, here's what I would do if I were to cast them. I'd use a one piece mold, but I would "jeweler's" cut the mold to ease extraction. Here's a quickie tutorial.

Do your one piece mold with RTV, after curing, take a FRESH ULTRA SHARP exacto blade and cut into one side of the mold, alternating directions, the more edges the better. This pic is kind of what I mean. The rough edges mean it gets a better grip and less slip than a regular straight edge would, less chance of misalignment. When you get to the inside edge of your mold (the part that meets the master) try to cut down along the edges of any detail on the master (like panel lines, raised edges, etc.) that way, most of your cut will be hidden, less flash!

Rubber band your mold (but not too tight!) and pour your resin. After curing, peel away the one side you cut, and you should be able to pull your part out.
Thanks Jimi

I'm interested in this technique as well.

My concern is 8-[ accidentally cutting into the master itself when digging into the rubber. Any advice on how to avoid doing that?

“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

I've never actually made a mold this way - I always pour one half and then the other. Any advantages to pouring the whole thing in one pass?
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

tetsujin wrote:I've never actually made a mold this way - I always pour one half and then the other. Any advantages to pouring the whole thing in one pass?
It's easier.

To my knowledge, nothing beats a properly clayed up set of molds.
Abolish Alliteration
chiver

Post by chiver »

i have never done this before, is there any kind of you tube video anyone can point me two for this proscess? i wanted ot make a hollow model so i can light it up, i dont know if its possiable using the same process.
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Kylwell wrote:
tetsujin wrote:I've never actually made a mold this way - I always pour one half and then the other. Any advantages to pouring the whole thing in one pass?
It's easier.

To my knowledge, nothing beats a properly clayed up set of molds.
I agree. Once you know the trick about diluting vaseline, and getting a proper clay (not playdoh) you can easily make a two part mold. The parts of interest are not that big. So no heroic efforts to suspend the master to get the first half of the mold, or creating a special plug to cut down the thickness of the casting, are not needed for this discussion.
outlander

Post by outlander »

WWW.YOUTUBE.COM is your friend. Just look up casting resins, or making a mould. They'll show you the eaisest way to do it. I use a wooden box with the part inside. This is deep enough to put two parts in so that once you have the first mould made you can brush vasoline, or petroleum jelly over the rubber to keep the two from imbedding the parts. After the first half of the rubber has cured, you can use the mould release, then add more rubber to make to parts. This will make it a lot easier do. You'll want to remember to seal your box if you use wood. I brushed lacquer over it to make a seal. This keeps the rubber from sticking to it. It won't stick to polystyrene or resin. I only sticks to itself, or porous surfaces. I hope this was in time enough to help.
It's a Pain In The Ass - not pita! Pita is what all the morons keep calling "flatbread"!
asdzxc

Post by asdzxc »

spammer
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Lonnie, I have to agree that the best route is a "keyed" two part mold. The problem with "jeweler's cut" molds is they can (with little effort) slip and get out of register. I used to use jeweler's cut molds all the time in my jewelry business, but towards the end we switched to keyed molds as it allowed me to choose where my seam would be not leave it to luck. An added benefit was not having to worry about cutting the master.

Most modern jewelers are switching to RTV two-part molds to make their waxes these days.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

modelnutz wrote:Um, I'm in Buffalo....some people think that's Canada ;-)
I'm in Massena, people think that's near Buffalo and IN Canada.
I have no signature.