Help finding styrene rectangle stock

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

cylon75

Help finding styrene rectangle stock

Post by cylon75 »

Dose any one know where i can get 1/2"( or close) solid square stock in ABS plastic or styrene ? I have found it in a tubing but i need it solid. Thanks
Last edited by cylon75 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all cylons are bad ,only the damaged ones
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=4qptam

This will get you started. I tried to link directly to the page you need, but evidently, only it goes to the main subsection.

Dennis
Winners don't use question marks!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Would acrylic work? Despite the image, it's a solid rod.
Abolish Alliteration
cylon75

Post by cylon75 »

I'm looking to do a scratch build of the Gemini ship from BSG and i rather use styrene or plastic ,i need it in a rectangle shape 1/2"x1" and i believe that i have the rest of what i need or will be able to get it easily
The guy in the 2nd post tried to help but they didn't have what i was looking for i even called them.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Is the 'spine' going to be some 16 inches long (or thereabouts), right?

For that size, you may be better off with tubing anyway, because tubing (in any convex shape) bends/sags less per unit of length than a solid with the same shape (really) under the same load. Under extreme load, however, tubes collapse/break while rods remain. The question: is the weight of the rest of the model enough to break a tubular spine?
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
cylon75

Post by cylon75 »

[quote="Chacal"]Is the 'spine' going to be some 16 inches long (or thereabouts), right?...

I need it solid because i have to shape it. When im done the hole ship should be about 8"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

& acrylic tends to be stiffer than styrene and is available in a much, much wider range of shapes and sizes.
Abolish Alliteration
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Well, they had what you were asking for before you changed what you were looking for. :?

Kylwell has a good suggestion. You could ask if someone here has a length of 1/2" x 1" x 8" acrylic.

Or you cuold laminate several strips of styrene if it has to be that material.

Dennis
Winners don't use question marks!
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Chacal wrote:For that size, you may be better off with tubing anyway, because tubing (in any convex shape) bends/sags less per unit of length than a solid with the same shape (really) under the same load.
I think you meant to say that tubing sags less than a solid rod of the same weight.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Plexiglass laminates nicely. I laminate 1/8th strips together to turn on my lathe. I use acetone as my solvent to weld them together.
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones