need a model cast

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

ashrond

need a model cast

Post by ashrond »

Ok, I nearly pulled my hair out last night when I picked up the model by the front of the saucer and it cracked near the edge under the pressure of my thumb and the weight of the model.

I would like to cast & copy this beast before I can continue working on her. the hull is getting to thin in some places, and there is just way to much putty in other places; when I try to work on some sections I end up creating more work for myself than I fix. I feel that it would be easier to work on if it were one solid material.

To date my casting experience is extremely limited as in after much trial and error I made a cast of my teeth to produce fangs for Halloween this year. However this seems like it would be substantially more complex and expensive (especialy with the trial and error). Would anyone be interested in helping me out here so I don’t have to spend the next 2 months mastering a new skill my time is limited only because I have finals approaching.

I’m particularly interested in getting the model copied in liquid plastic such as http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/sm300sebrwhl.html and hollow if possible; but not to thin and I also have the one nacelle that needs to be copied.

anyone willing to help me with this? or know of a place where i can find this as a service?
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

It would help to know what the model was...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Most likely his build of the Aventine:

viewtopic.php?t=75175
________
Joe Brown
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

it is indeed my aventine build.
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Thought so! :D

The Jimi and Modelnutz and Blappy and Sparky and DasPhule are all set up to do serious casting work - prices may vary, however.
________
Joe Brown
fantacmet

Post by fantacmet »

It wouldn't be too hard, casting the main body and the nacelle seperately, in fact the mold material and resin I use the molds could be single piece, but either way, it will end up being VERY expensive. The mold material itself is very pricey. It would easily be 25-50 bucks worth of mold material, and then the resin on top of that, and the time. Luckily the resin itself, at least the stuff I use on a per part basis is fairly inexpensive. I use the stuff from Tap Plastics, since they have a store very close to me, and I have some experience in their products.

The easiest way would be to cast the nacells and pylons together, and then the secondary hull and saucer section together. So essentially a 3 piece model. Though it would be possible to cast the whole thing as one piece, it would be a big PITA.

This is the stuff I use. It's GREAT.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=61&