Help with Columns and base.

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

azdave

Help with Columns and base.

Post by azdave »

Me again,

I do not have the mind of an Architect . As a ER Dr. I can only think in terms of the body and not 3D shapes. I also have no intention of ripping off another s idea. But I still need help with this base, and were at a dead stop. How can we make the ventilation shaft and the columns that extend out from the round vent shaft? This is for the second base that is part of the Death Star Base project. I found a photo of what we would like to build. but I can't figure it out.[/url]
Thanks,
Dave
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Dave, if you can post (a link to) the picture it'd be a big help. If you need to know how to post a link to a picture, mouse over the relevant button above ... I use the URL one when I post a link to one of my Photobucket images.
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

If I get what you are saying...

I would use ABS plumbing pipe and fish mouth the ends of the columns and glue with ABS cement. Use putty to make a smooth transition.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/ep6/zoom3.jpg

If you look closely, ILM didn't bother to sand/grind off the markings on the 90 degree elbows. I guess they figured it was only on screen for a few seconds.

You may also use PVC vacuum lines, they have a thinner wall but they (I believe) are a single diameter.

PVC electrical conduit may work as well.

TazMan2000
azdave

Post by azdave »

That makes sense. Will go today and check out Home Depot.
Thanks,
Dave
azdave

Base

Post by azdave »

I found a piece of PVC pipe that will work. Now how do I prep the PVC for painting and what kind of glue should I use? I will be gluing the PVC to a sheet of styrene.
Thanks,
Dave
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Give a light sanding of 600 grit sandpaper. A laquer based paint will probably give you better adhesion. Home Depot carries ABS cement, but I'm not certain if it bonds to styrene.

You may want to try a 1 inch strip of styrene on the internal circumference and CA it into place with a 1/2 inch overhang, the you can fishmouth the styrene to make a better fit. Carving PVC or ABS is difficult.

TazMan2000