Mini lathe

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

tomkat364

Mini lathe

Post by tomkat364 »

I often have rotational shapes that I have to make and up to now I have been limited by having to use either a dremel or drill to turn the styrene. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good, affordable lathe to make complex shapes (like engine bells)
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

About the cheapest new hobby lathe you're going to find is a Taig. Sherline lathes are a bit more expensive and very solid machines. I have a Taig and it's flippin' awesome. If you are in a decent-sized city, you may be able to find a second hand hobby lathe for much less than a new one and save the shipping cost.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Define "affordable"....
Abolish Alliteration
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

Joseph Osborn wrote:About the cheapest new hobby lathe you're going to find is a Taig. Sherline lathes are a bit more expensive and very solid machines. I have a Taig and it's flippin' awesome. If you are in a decent-sized city, you may be able to find a second hand hobby lathe for much less than a new one and save the shipping cost.
I would 2nd the sherline option. I recently purchased a mill and got the score of a lifetime on a sherline lathe, found it craigs list for 100$ the guy said that he wasnt sure of it worked or not, so I took it home spent about 40$ in replacement parts, 5$ in a decent lube and the thing turns to w/ in .005 of an inch!!!! I am a very happy man ;)

Ashton
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Harbour freight in the US is a good start for affordable tools.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Chris E.

Post by Chris E. »

I bought the 7"x10" mini-lathe from Harbor Freight several years ago and have had really good luck with it. It's solid and very heavily built. The extra, interchangeable drive gears let you do things like cut different sized threads. I'd recommend these lathes to a hobbiest without hesitation.
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

Chris E. wrote:I bought the 7"x10" mini-lathe from Harbor Freight several years ago and have had really good luck with it. It's solid and very heavily built. The extra, interchangeable drive gears let you do things like cut different sized threads. I'd recommend these lathes to a hobbiest without hesitation.
Sounds like the one I have had for about 5 years. I have never used it but it is a nice little unit.

Max Bryant
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I have a Unimat DB200, and I'd recommend the Chinese 7X10s unless you really need a lathe small enough to put away after every use. The Unimat is very nice, but it is very small and tooling is expensive. The 7X10s are astonishingly cheap for what they can do. Another tiny lathe is the Clisby, but they are unfortunately out of production.