Flaring very small diameter brass tube!

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Big Hank

Flaring very small diameter brass tube!

Post by Big Hank »

Hey gang, like the title says, are there any tricks for flaring small tube stock? Or perhaps some industrious type has created a mini flaring tool. I can't find anything online to point me in the right direction. Thanks a ton! :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

How much of a flare? I've managed to flare brass & aluminum stock with drill bits. Trick was to turn the bit backwards and apply pressure. You might need to thin the wall a touch.
Abolish Alliteration
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Big Hank,

Can you substitute aluminum tubing? I find it much easier to flare. Brass is a fairly hard and might need to be annealed for serious flaring.

Thin the inside of the tube with a hobby knife. Nesting a soft small diameter tube inside a larger diameter tube can prevent bending. Work the inside of the tube with the wrong end of drill bits or music wire with rounded ends until you have a flare you like. Practicing helps.

Mike
Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

Thanks guys!

Both great ideas. For this instance I can use aluminum, but I see occasions where I may need brass or copper for soldering wire to, but again I may be able to just use aluminum and wrap the solder end with copper tape!

Well guys, I'm off to practice and sorry for posting in scratchbuilding, shoulda stuck it in construction! :D