scale calculator program for my pc (is missing)

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

OdysseySlipways

scale calculator program for my pc (is missing)

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i was using a scale calculator program on my pc (had it for a few years now - did) and it looks like the hard drive now has a glitch where it use to be, so i am now in need of a new pc based program for scaling.

any ideas?

thsi one only did lengths and not liquids. it was a double black box, one above the other. was very simple and basic to use. loved, but now missing it :cry:

any ideas?

please .......
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I like this one, but it's a website, not a downloadable program.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I've not used this one myself, but it comes highly recommended within IPMS UK.... and it's downloadable.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/calculatorfc_1.htm
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
OdysseySlipways

seam-filler, you filled the gap! that's the one i had before and love it! thanks!
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
walter

Post by walter »

I had one for about 5 years then last week norton found it as a virus.
OdysseySlipways

was it? i forget if it was Norton's or McAfee that use to confuse some of my bmp files as possible virus's a ways back
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

walter

Post by walter »

OdysseySlipways wrote:was it? i forget if it was Norton's or McAfee that use to confuse some of my bmp files as possible virus's a ways back
Norton could not delete it so i did and a full virus scan came up clean. I don't know if it was a virus or not.
The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Post by The Arbiter »

Norton frequently make such mistakes. It is a bloated and inefficient program, I use AVG free instead. It is very good and...well, free
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer
davidlgreen

Post by davidlgreen »

not to hijack the thread or anything but free avg is great.
not enough LDS

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on whats for dinner
naoto

Post by naoto »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:I like this one, but it's a website, not a downloadable program.
Actually it is downloadable (from web browser, do File / Save As, choose HTML format). The "program" part that does the computing is implemented as javascript, so it should run fine in practically any web browser (as long as it is equipped with a javascript interpreter). The obvious advantage over a standard program is that you're not going to be tied to Windows and Intel.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
rokket2001

Post by rokket2001 »

not to be all Old School, but a pocket calculator is pretty handy. Really a very simple calc even for me, a non-math whiz (or Master Unwhiz).

Whatever the full size, divide it into the scale size.

Original 1:1 = 100 ft (1200 inches)
Scale target 1:350 = ???
1200 / 350 = 3.4285 inches

Even easier in 10-base metric.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
www.talklikehal.com
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

What we need is a good slide rule (not a circular one) in which we could take the model/blueprint measurements directly and read the scale-converted values right there. Hmmmm. [runs to the patent office]
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Chacal wrote:What we need is a good slide rule (not a circular one) in which we could take the model/blueprint measurements directly and read the scale-converted values right there. Hmmmm. [runs to the patent office]
And of course you could also use an architect's scale or engineer's scale (provided that the scales represented matches the scale you're using).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
scratchy

Post by scratchy »