CO2 Laser Machine Applications?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Sylafari

CO2 Laser Machine Applications?

Post by Sylafari »

Ok, so my parents have a CO2 Laser Machine and they use it to etch letters on glass to sell as well as many other applications. I was wondering if there was any possible way where I can use it for the sake of scratch building. I'm not really sure but maybe it can etch on panel lines or things...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What's the wattage? With the right settings and wattage they can do about anything, from cutting sheet stock to etching detail into flat surfaces.
Abolish Alliteration
Sylafari

Post by Sylafari »

K I just asked my dad he said 60 Watts.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

You can cleave Mr. Bond in twain with that! (Even if he talks)
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I can do about anything I need to do with my 35 watt machine....a 60 will do it all. It does take some practice to use.
Adam Baker

Post by Adam Baker »

I run a 2200 watt max output CO2 Laser Welder at my job. Its part of a 5 axis CNC system. Probably not quite exactly what you were asking about, haha.

Ive never thought about the possibility of using it for other stuff, haha. I might have to play around w/ it some time.
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

60 watts, you're set. We had a demo 25watt laser at the office and I could cut 1/8" acrylic easily. .04" styrene, like butter.

Acrylic - 60watt you may be able to cut 1/2" thick acrylic
Styrene -adjust speed and strength or it will melt. If you're good you can easily create control panels.
Paper - Think scale boxes, leaves, signs
Thick paper board - scale buildings
Wood - scale crates, decking for large scale battle ships.
Metals - I don't think you can affect any metals even with with 60watt.
Etching panel lines onto existing parts? You better have several of those parts to experiment on. Instead, cut out templates from another material to scribe with.

Your experimentation with materials may yield some business opportunities your dad never thought of.

However, never cut PVC in a CO2 laser, the fumes are horrible and the smoke will ruin a lens.

The only limit is your imagination. Really. What is the bed size? 60watt will have a big bed.

Actually the above is not entirely true. CO2 lasers as a whole have a short service life before they need to be worked on and the mirrors and lenses creep with use, so dad may not want to "play around" with an expensive machine just for some "toys". Unless you can get him into model trains. :wink:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The PVC tends to produce chlorine gas. Nasty stuff.
Abolish Alliteration
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

A 60 watt machine will do about anything. Here is a kit, it's not Sci Fi, that I produced for a while for the model car hobby. It takes some testing to get everything set up right. My machine has 3 different setting with 255 power settings in each....so lots of testing needed. I cut and etch plastic, wood and matt. Good luck!
http://www.frontiernet.net/~currtail/hotdog.JPG
Sylafari

Post by Sylafari »

The bed is indeed huge about i dunno i'm estimating but about 2 meters by 1 meter
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Sylafari wrote:The bed is indeed huge about i dunno i'm estimating but about 2 meters by 1 meter
Aha! Just the right size for a British secret agent.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Here's a neat little procedure you can do to find out if a material you'd like to try in the laser contains PVC. I've used it a few times, and it actually works!

burnination
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook