Where can I find blueprints for rare ships?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Jokkocze

Where can I find blueprints for rare ships?

Post by Jokkocze »

Hi, new member here (first post!)

I've been thinking of building a model from scratch (My first one) for some time now, but I havent been able to decide what I want to do. Until now.

I'm currently playing through SW: Knights of the old republic 1 and 2, and I've always been a big fan of the Ebon Hawk, so I thought that I could try that out.
Question is, where can I get blueprints for such a project?
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

If you go to Google Images and type in: Ebon Hawk, that should bring up some reference images.
________
Joe Brown
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Joseph C. Brown wrote:If you go to Google Images and type in: Ebon Hawk, that should bring up some reference images.
I've googled a bit, and I've got to say that there isnt really alot to use. Everything's either small or not very helpful.

Also, it never hurts to ask, right?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sometimes there just aren't any. Which is where having the Model Design & Blueprinting Handbook: Volume 1 is handy.
Abolish Alliteration
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Kylwell wrote:Sometimes there just aren't any. Which is where having the Model Design & Blueprinting Handbook: Volume 1 is handy.
That does seem quite handy, unfortunately:
Due to a tremendous response, the first printing of this book sold out quickly. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible response! Because of the excitement surrounding this title, our retailers are also sold out. (All "scratch 'n dent" copies are also gone.)
And it's not avalible at the local library.

Other ideas?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Plead with someone to borrow it?

Check the inter-library loan program?

Bug Charles (the author who's here sometimes) to print a second (third?) run.
Abolish Alliteration
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Jokkocze wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Sometimes there just aren't any. Which is where having the Model Design & Blueprinting Handbook: Volume 1 is handy.
That does seem quite handy, unfortunately:
Due to a tremendous response, the first printing of this book sold out quickly. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the incredible response! Because of the excitement surrounding this title, our retailers are also sold out. (All "scratch 'n dent" copies are also gone.)
And it's not avalible at the local library.
Not the type of thing a public library normally would carry - trust me, my sister is a librarian (B.S. Library Sciences)
Jokkocze wrote:Other ideas?
If enough people ask Charles, maybe he'll make it available as a downloadable PDF for a nominal fee
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Kylwell wrote:Plead with someone to borrow it?

Check the inter-library loan program?
See my post right after yours
Kylwell wrote:Bug Charles (the author who's here sometimes) to print a second (third?) run.
From his site
We plan to reprint this book as soon as possible. Due to economic uncertainty, however, that effort is temporarily on hold.
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Woah, seems like everyone over there is starting to wake up now!

I dont really know anyone who's into modelling, especially not from scratch, and most people here on ssm seems to be in the us or so, but if there's anyone out there who's ready to loan their copy of that book to a total stranger half way around earth, you're welcome to contact me!

I've found someone who's built one, but I'm not sure if he's willing to share his blueprints. It's worth a shot tho!
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

________
Joe Brown
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Joseph C. Brown wrote:Have you seen this one?

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/ebonhawk.html
Yeah, that's the guy I mailed, still havent gotten any awnser tho..
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I've been trying to get that book for some time now myself. No luck. I even went to some of the local used book stores and dug around there. If another print run is done I'm definitely up for one.
There is allways something in the dark beyond the firelight.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

I went through the same thing while I was in the planning stage for building my YT-2400. The easiest way I can say for blueprinting would be to find a good overhead birds eye view of the ship. If you can find a copy of the Prima Official strategy guide for the game, I believe they had a large picture of the ship. From that, and possible other pictures which are on the internet, you then pick whatever scale you want it to be in (I went for 1/72) and then draw it out on a large piece of paper (I used a large newspaper print drawing pad) in scale.

When drawing it out in 2D, just draw the basic outline. Since the Ebon Hawk is a semi circle (from what I remember), find out the diameter then use a compass to draw it out. From there, you can draw the other parts of the ship (the blocky cockpit area, the two side arm things, and the engine tubes. I'd draw just the outlines of them and label all the dimensions. Then do the same thing for a profile shot from the front, rear, and sides. Then from there, take those and turn them into 3D... easier said than done, of course. Best way to learn how to do this is to look up a few scratchbuilds of the Falcon, or at least that was where i got most of the ideas. You could also look up plank and frame techniques, or other techniques that are out there.

Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone with that rather disastrous explanation...
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

You might want to try Lasse Henning ("StarWars Scratchbuilder" on this site), he lives in your neck of the woods! Well, Norway, at least.

Or you could try his website.
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

If you give me your email-address, i can sent you 12,6mb you might find very helpfull. :wink:
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

starwarsmodels.com seems to be dead, the last update was 01/20/08. Does anyone know if the guy is still alive? Or has he just taken out his vacation? :roll:
Lichtbringer wrote:If you give me your email-address, i can sent you 12,6mb you might find very helpfull. :wink:
Thanks mate, I'm sure that it'll come in handy.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

If you're that desperate for an Ebon Hawk, why not just download the free paper model and use it for templates? I'm sure I have a copy on my hard drive.

EDIT: Found it. Do you want a link to the PDF?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:If you're that desperate for an Ebon Hawk, why not just download the free paper model and use it for templates? I'm sure I have a copy on my hard drive.

EDIT: Found it. Do you want a link to the PDF?
I had them lying around and Lichtbringer mailed me them, so I have them. They dont really work for making the whole model, but they do probably work for helping me getting a whole picture of the thing.
I'm not really in a hurry, I'm between flats and I cant build anything right now anyway, just preparing..
Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

This is Lasse's last thread here.

You might try to PM him & see if he responds.
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Old Wombat wrote:This is Lasse's last thread here.

You might try to PM him & see if he responds.
He aint the one I'm after, however, I've contacted him, asking for tips on what you should get in preperation of a scratchbuild.
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

I've gotten my hands on a 3d-model of the ebon hawk!
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I was wondering- since it's a PC game, is there any chance the in-game CG model can be extracted? Sometimes you can do that, depending on what 3D format the game designers used.

IIRC there was a guy here who was scratchbuilding models of the Halo spaceships by extracting the in-game CG model and converting it to templates.

You say you got ahold of a CG model of the Ebon Hawk. Is it the game model, or a fan made mesh?
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Jokkocze

Post by Jokkocze »

Shinnentai wrote:I was wondering- since it's a PC game, is there any chance the in-game CG model can be extracted? Sometimes you can do that, depending on what 3D format the game designers used.

IIRC there was a guy here who was scratchbuilding models of the Halo spaceships by extracting the in-game CG model and converting it to templates.

You say you got ahold of a CG model of the Ebon Hawk. Is it the game model, or a fan made mesh?
It's the CG model, modified a tiny bit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Colonial Chrome has some good images of star wars ships. If you can put up with his jerkwad attitude.
http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Ships/U ... _Hawk.html
star-art

Post by star-art »

For those interested in getting my book, it will be back in print before you know it. A pre-order offer for the new Second Edition has just been posted! :)

http://www.ModelersNotebook.com
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
Jades Dark Heart

Post by Jades Dark Heart »

star-art wrote:For those interested in getting my book, it will be back in print before you know it. A pre-order offer for the new Second Edition has just been posted! :)

http://www.ModelersNotebook.com
Buy it!!! I keep mine at work so I can read it when I am between projects. Great resource.

Greg
The Captain Cardboard X-Wing Project! See it at http://www.blockheadpictures.com

Anything Worth Doing, is Worth OVER Doing!!! JDH2008
star-art

Post by star-art »

Thanks!! :D
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE