Is out of box kitbuilding so hard?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, it can be really hard not to add that bit of wire or photoetch to spruce things up. That said, some of my best work has been OOB - I guess because I focused on the finishing and painting. I won a gold at Wonderfest with an OOB build.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Is Building Out of a Box Really Difficult?
I don't think so- but the focus shifts from "making exactly what you need" to "fitting what you have". I find that the quality of kits is often below what I would like to see in a model kit these days... I don't really know if that is because of my price range, or whether the kits I enjoy are just not found in quality vendors, or maybe little of both.

Sometimes the kits need to be worked to the point that they are not worth the money I payed for them. On the plus side, some kits are awesome builds, that really shine beyond what I invested in them. I have noted that the best kits are the ones that depict well designed objects to begin with, or have been engineered by a very experienced Master Modeler, who focuses on the idea that some person(s) might actually try to put one together!

I digressed. Sorry.

Short answer: No, I don't have a problem with making kits after scratching for long periods.
Post#22
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
jeffrowse

Post by jeffrowse »

Scotaidh wrote: ...they're too fiddly, and have all kinds of boringly repetitive things - 27 road wheels spring to mind.
:shock: :shock: 27 road wheels?? :shock: :shock:

I wonder why you have difficulty with OOB models... :scared:
"No, no, no! We're Ethically-Challenged Merchants with Negotiable Morals! We are NOT pirates!" - Capt. Lauren Michaels, owner-aboard IMV Valkyrie
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Scotaidh wrote:
But I find that each type of modelling has it's 'sticky' points.
OOB - I'm trying (usually) to produce something fairly close to what the box cover-art depicts.

Scratchbuild - I have to decide what the cover-art is - and then make that.
Welcome to spaceship design, 101. My name is Captain Grebblie, and today we will be making a futuristic aerolight designs, something that will be good for a short planet hopper...
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Is it hard? Only if you let it be.

I'll build OOB without any worries but equally I will try to customise the model even if only in a small way. That may simply be dropping the flaps on an aircraft, building the hatches open on a tank, adding a diferent weapons load out to the hard points than came with the kit.

I don't see that as any more than minor concersion - barely deserving of the name.

Then I may go all out on scratchbuilding etc. Depends on the subject and the mood I'm in.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Sometimes an OOB kit is a nice departure from bashing scratching and super detailing.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman