Is out of box kitbuilding so hard?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

incrediblefruit

Post by incrediblefruit »

I've been scratchbuilding and kitbashing for so many years now that I find building a straightforward out of box kit quite difficult.

I recently got hold of a FM 1/48 X-Wing and would like to do it stock as it's a nice kit that doesn't really need much doing to it but i'm finding it hard as when scratchbuilding you follow your own rules but with a kit you have to do it a little more according to a plan or at least that's how I see it or maybe it's just because i'm a little out of practice with kits, who knows.

Does anybody else have this problem?
Last edited by incrediblefruit on Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I now live in a deep dark cave with a 2'x3' worksurface in the kitchen, so pity me please.

http://incrediblefruit.googlepages.com/home
STAREMPIREUS

Post by STAREMPIREUS »

I can not just build out of box . I either see what it could be or what it isn't .

Mostly after seeing what you guys an gals do .

:shock:
Zombie Bunnies !!!
Horrible ... Hideous ... Fluffy
puddingwrestler

Post by puddingwrestler »

I can build OOB, but only with difficulty, and only when I want to build quickly. Also, I can only seem to do it with ww2 aircraft...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.
3d-builder

Post by 3d-builder »

:D I totally understand after scratch-building for 10 plus years, building a kit is hard!!! :D
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I don't like to build straight out of the box--I prefer to put my own spin on things. OOB stands for Omigod Overly Boring. :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Having won several awards for my OOB or near OOB builds, all I have to say is you're obviously not building the right kind of models.
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

SEE! SEE! It takes a dedicated OOB builder like Kylwell to do OOB kits!
Properly, anyway.

The only OOB I've been able to do in the last few years has been the Apollo 27 kit, and that's only 'cause I just wanted to do SOMETHING quickly. Now I can un-snap it and conver it to 1/48 th scale and add the chicken feet.... :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

:D

Buy a Hasegawa Falke. It's so frakkin' cool and has such great paint possibilities.
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I always look at kits as points of departure- even if it is just adding some detail where things seem blank.
I htink the only kits I have build OOB in the past 30 years are the Bandai Star Trek ships- they fit together like watches and already have the aztecing painted on.

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
3d-builder

Post by 3d-builder »

Richard Baker wrote:I always look at kits as points of departure- even if it is just adding some detail where things seem blank.
I htink the only kits I have build OOB in the past 30 years are the Bandai Star Trek ships- they fit together like watches and already have the aztecing painted on.

Your right Rich I built a few of these on commission way back in the day, if you messed things up you almost had to destroy the kit to get it back apart!! thats how well they fit I remember well!! :evil: :D
rmitchis

Post by rmitchis »

This is interesting because as an OOB builder for most of my life I always thought scratchbuilding was harder. Any scratchbuilders want to share how you got started in the hobby? I'd be interested in comparing how you got started vs. how I did to see where the differences lie.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I always wanted physical models of things there were no kits of. Then again, that was even before Lindberg released their UFO the first time. So I scratchbuilt stuff using whatever came to hand. When that UFO came out, it even got modified from 1/72nd (?) to 1/1000 (!).

Also, I know that in the case of most styrene kits there are 10,000 or so of each kit released and I don't feel like building one just like everyone else. I turned one of the first release of the TOS 1701 into a scout ship...
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Years ago when vinyl figures were popular - Horizon, GeoMetric, Screamin' - I got into them because I thought it would be an excuse to build something OOB. It didn't have straight lines and hard surfaces like a spaceship, so I wouldn't be inspired to try and modify it.

So much for that idea. :oops:
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by rmitchis »

I've only been scratchbuilding or kitbashing depending on how you want to look at it for the last couple of years. I think that if the internet had been around when I got started things might have been different since information and supplies would have been more easily found.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

No, just not terribly satisfying.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
naoto

Post by naoto »

Building the kit out of the box is one thing, but building the model kit while it is still in the box might prove to be challenging. :wink:

If you're into cardmodelling, it's possible to build the model using the box. (come to think of it, I vaguely remember a few plastic kits from many ages ago where the inside of the kit box had printing on it and you were supposed to cut out some of the flat parts from the kit box... so indeed in this case you did build part of the model out of the box)
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Yes. I thought it was only me, so I was hesitant about posting. But yes, OOB building is much harder for me than scrathcbuilding. I'm thinking that when building from scratch, you build the parts so that they will go together the way you, the builder, want them to.

If a part doesn't work right, then you just re-build it. There's no problem sanding away raised detail because the detail goes on after the model is built.

Yes, you are right. OOB building is harder for me.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
naoto

Post by naoto »

I've got a some model kits where an out-of-the-box build would prove to be problematic if you followed the instructions. I've got a few Mig27 kits which came with instructions for a Panavia Tornado. I've got a few Saab JAS-39 kits that came with the parts sprue for a Mig 21. Of course... it could be interesting to see the results if one simply follows the illustrations (ignoring the part numbers that aren't going to match) and locate similar-looking parts and modifying the joints to make them work...
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

It's not so much hard as just plain boring. Stick well-engineered tab A into equally well engineered slot B... The last kit I bought to build was the Miyazaki tank, and it flew together in about 3 evenings. I have so little invested in it, it will probably never get painted. For me, most of the fun is figuring out how to make a set of shapes and then making it fit, the "whittle away everything that doesn't look like a wooden Indian" phase. I need to go finish the thing I made out of a plastic latch hook tool now.
incrediblefruit

Post by incrediblefruit »

So it aint just me then
I now live in a deep dark cave with a 2'x3' worksurface in the kitchen, so pity me please.

http://incrediblefruit.googlepages.com/home
eeun

Post by eeun »

I really don't understand the "OOB is Boring" sentiment. If it goes together quickly, then spend more time on finishing. Construction is only half the process.

A variety is what keeps my interest in the hobby strong, and I don't find an OOB easier than a scratch or bash, or vice versa. Each has its own challenges and constraints. If I've just finished an OOB, then I'm often in the mood to tinker with a kit that needs a lot of extra love, or start something right from scratch. Once I'm done with that, I'll go the other way, or more often I'll have a couple builds on the go, and can choose 'lite' or 'extra crunchy' depending on my mood. :D
davidlgreen

Post by davidlgreen »

yes ive actuallly been forcing myself to build out of box. maybe a piece of wire or something a little extra but no major changes. ive so many kits to build and little time. also forces me to concentrate on painting which is a major weakpoint of mine. i believe a good paint job on an average kit is better than a poor paint job on a major reworking or scratchbuilt. dave

not enough LDS

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on whats for dinner
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I can . . . with great difficulty. :oops:

I can do it, really I can. But usually I have to add my own detail or two just for the heck of it. Maybe replacing a styrene chip with a different shape or including an R5 instead of an R2 unit in the ship.

But I can guarantee you'll probably not see me enter a Red Five, USS Enterprise, or Sheridan's Starfury in any model contest.

Let me share a story:

I got the (then) new FM 1:48 X-wing, which I fully intended to build up as Luke's Red Five. And I was *that* close! I even had the darn thing weathered! But I painted it black and intended to make it into Wedge's custom-painted X-wing from the books.

However, as I was painting it, the black paint went on too thick in several areas, so I had to remove the paint, and as I was scrubbing it I accidentally broke it. :roll:
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
mastermodelreview

Post by mastermodelreview »

Out of the box isn't for everyone.
Aluminum-hydroxide adjuvant in vaccines can stay at the site of the injection for years, continuously stimulating an immune response, this high-alert state exhausts the body's resources. Aluminum hydroxide vaccine adjuvant the squalene found in the Anthrax Vaccine, provides an explanation for Gulf War Syndrome. Deployment of Black Helicopter/Tin foil hat libel is consent.
spacecraft guy

Post by spacecraft guy »

Sometimes building a well engineered OOB kit is a refreshing change of pace.

For example building a PL 1/1000 TOS E after accurizing the AMT/ERTL
18 inch.
mastermodelreview

Post by mastermodelreview »

I had a problem with it until I realized the nitrous, the bottom tier street hookers, and the home made mechanical bull machine weren't contributing to the building.
(these things all turned out to all just be distractions.)
Aluminum-hydroxide adjuvant in vaccines can stay at the site of the injection for years, continuously stimulating an immune response, this high-alert state exhausts the body's resources. Aluminum hydroxide vaccine adjuvant the squalene found in the Anthrax Vaccine, provides an explanation for Gulf War Syndrome. Deployment of Black Helicopter/Tin foil hat libel is consent.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Damn, I knew something was keeping me from building.

On a more serious note, I'm currently working on a project that's supposed to be almost OOB. But I'm having no end of troubles with it, but maybe because I got lost on the way to OOB. I bought a photo-etch set for the kit. This actually induced more building delays, because installing the photoetch showed additional issues I was blissfully ignorant of. A pair of etched pieces are supposed to sit in little trenches on the kit, but trench wasn't in the right spot, so I had to extend these little trenches. No applying some superglue, pop the brass into place and keep moving. Erf.

Thanks to the aftermarket, most of the panel detail will be accomplished through decals, no painstaking, making masks, shooting second finish coats, so I just need to do some final assembly and get some primer on. BUT NO!! I noticed right off, the main body rocked around against the attachment to the engine assembly. Then I noticed the main body wasn't parallel to the engine assembly. Its off by a scale 1.3 meters. This was supposed to be glue one piece, and call it done. Instead, I spend the next two hours dry fitting, sanding away hidden sections of kit parts in order to remove the interference to get the two sub-assemblies parallel. I finally resort to using blue carpenter's chalk to figure out what was interferring where. (apply chalk to one part, dry fit, pull apart, where the chalk transfers to the other part, is the interference.) But when I'm done, the engine section sits rock solid in its socket in the main body. Just can't catch a break on this kit. In this case, I'm not sweating the shape of some gun turrent, or location of portholes, just basic, good modeling practice of checking for alignment. Frak me.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I have many, many models in boxes, most of them aircraft models. I plan to build them OOB because I like having and looking at the aircraft.

I don't do tanks much anymore - they're too fiddly, and have all kinds of boringly repetitive things - 27 road wheels spring to mind. Most of the armor kits I have are destined for "greater things" (or is that "grater things"?)

Ditto the ship and car models I have, with a few exceptions. :)

My Scifi kits are sort of a grey area ... I like the subjects, or I wouldn't have them, and I'll build most of them OOB, but most will be bashed into something or become greeblie-sources.

My version of scratchbuilding isn't usually to build an un-kitted version of something, or even to build an unkitted inspiring craft I saw in a show/comic/dream once. I tend to scratch odd, one-off things that amuse me, such as the SMS Hengboku, this scoutcraft, or my system-defense gunboat.

My Off-Hand Challenge build of the Ex-wing is a rarity, in that I'm actually trying to keep the thing mostly looking like an X-wing, albeit one through my looking-glass.

But I find that each type of modelling has it's 'sticky' points.
OOB - I'm trying (usually) to produce something fairly close to what the box cover-art depicts.

Scratchbuild - I have to decide what the cover-art is - and then make that.
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
futch

Post by futch »

eeun wrote:I really don't understand the "OOB is Boring" sentiment. If it goes together quickly, then spend more time on finishing. Construction is only half the process.
I understand. OOB essentially means someone else has figured out how it all goes together.

Construction is where the challenges are. Finishes are generally a formulaic set of steps which can be learnt. You can't learn how to construct. Sure you can slap any old ≠♀§#&@(§ together but if you can't visualise and engineer it all mentally, you can't build it.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Which is why there are some of use who go hog wild with paint and weathering.

Assembling a well design & engineered kit is nothing unless one gets burried in details. The fun for me is in detailing & paint.
Abolish Alliteration