Eagle Command Module Demo

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Shaw

Eagle Command Module Demo

Post by Shaw »

Introduction

I'd been using this technique for scratch building models for a while now and thought I would put together a detailed out line for anyone else who might want to do something similar. This is all basically paper, so it isn't all that hard to work with.

I think this should be prefaced by two important points...

First, I'm not much of a SciFi fan. I love Star Trek, and that is about as far into the genre as I've really gotten. So I really don't know much outside of Trek, and even then not a lot outside of the original series. So I know next to nothing about Space: 1999 or the spacecraft used within the show. And it is the fact that I don't know much about this that I picked this as the subject of this demo.

Secondly, I'm not going to finish the whole Eagle. The command module offered an interesting shape to model and I think it can show both the strengths (and weaknesses) of this technique.

The main reason for posting this is that I realized that I started chronicling my steps about my Enterprise model after I had mostly put the primary hull and dorsal together, so I decided to throw together a short demo of the techniques I had used for them.

I had originally considered doing the body of a TOS communicator, but realized that I'd end up getting lost in the details of something like that and what I really wanted to do in this thread was show the technique (in a timely manner).

Resources and Materials

What I'll be using is pretty straight forward...
  • Foam Core Board
  • poster board, card stock
  • brown paper bag, standard page, (wrapping) tissue paper
  • Elmer's Glue
  • AMACO Sculptamold (cellulose-based paper maché)
I get most of my model supplies at: Hub Hobby Center

From what I've heard, it is one of the best hobby shops in the Twin Cities... but I go there because it is only a couple miles away from where I live.

Foundation

As stated above, I know little about Space: 1999, so I hit the web to find a reference plan to work from. This isn't aiming for hyper accuracy, so low resolution diagrams were more than enough for what I needed here. I printed them out and then started cutting the top view to the shapes I needed for cutting the foam core board (mostly estimates of the shapes).

image: eagle-001

Once cut, I started gluing the piece together to form my foundation.

image: eagle-002

Basic Shape

With the foundation made I now needed to build up the basic shape, which is what I use the Sculptamold for. You just add water to it until damp and start sculpting. This is non-toxic, so no worries molding it with your hands.

I generally take a few passes at it, letting the first rough application dry a little.

image: eagle-003

Then filling in the gaps a little more...

image: eagle-004

And finally ending up with a good general shape that can be sanded and carved to nearly the form I want.

image: eagle-005

Initial Sanding and Refinement

After letting it set for a little while more, I did some more sanding of the shape. I also added the first elements of card stock within the indentations.

image: eagle-006

One of my mistakes with the Enterprise primary hull was letting this stuff sit for too long... it gets harder over time, making it harder to sand out imperfections. Best to get that aspect done early (within the first few days).

Because this is mainly water based (both for the Sculptamold and glue) it helps to get the initial form made of foam core board as close to the final shape as possible so that it dries quickly. And it does generally dry quickly... in this case I'm less than 24 hours into this build.

Adding Detailing

I'm moving along faster on this than I normally would because I know I'm running out of time and this is a demo of the technique. So between that and the fact that this isn't a shape I am overly familiar with, means I doubt this would measure up to the standard of those who follow Space: 1999.

One of the details that stood out (for me) when looking at images of the command module was the panels. The panels help turn it from an organic shape into one that feels more industrial. So it was that detail that I've started in on.

image: eagle-007

This is the first few panels, and I'll go back and sand them down to get rid of the raised areas I don't want. After all, the raised outer edges are what I'm after.

... And this is basically what we end up with.

image: eagle-008

From here I'd give it a couple coats of clear gloss latex enamel (which helps water proof it) and then start painting it. Those are steps which I may or may not do to this model (if I do, I'll post more images) as I think it has generally reached the stage where you guys can see what can be done with this (plus it'd be better to wait until next weekend before doing all that).

So, that is it... hope this will be helpful to others.
Prowler901

Post by Prowler901 »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing :)
I believe this nation should commit itself, to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.
John F. Kennedy, in a speech on May 25, 1961
Earnan

Post by Earnan »

Thanks. Well-written and good detail.

I have a question about the Amaco Sculptamold. I'm working on a scene with a crashed escape pod. I've already got the sculptamold on the base, but when I started working with two-part epoxy today and used a bit of water to avoid stickiness, it looked like the sculptamold started to go soft and would've changed shape if I'd poked at it. Does it reabsorb water and become workable again days after curing?

If I paint with water based acrylics will it continue to take on water until I seal it?

Have you used PVA/white glue to reduce H20 uptake? If it's a small area, could I use cyanocrylate to seal it? Or the Golden gel medium used for giving body to acrylics?
Frantic and frenzied.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Eagle Command Module Demo

Post by USS Atlantis »

Shaw wrote:IntroductionI get most of my model supplies at: Hub Hobby Center
Hub is the best in the cities for scratch-building supplies - Scale Model Supply on Lexington just south of University (St. Paul) runs a close second

As you can tell, I'm also a TC person

And thanks for showing us that technique - I have a project I've been fighting with - may have to try that Sculptamold
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Shaw

Post by Shaw »

Earnan wrote:Does it reabsorb water and become workable again days after curing?
I haven't noticed it, but that would be a good thing to try out. I'll do some testing over the next few days.
USS Atlantis wrote:Hub is the best in the cities for scratch-building supplies - Scale Model Supply on Lexington just south of University (St. Paul) runs a close second
I'll have to check that place out... but the Hub is only a few miles away, so it is easiest for me to get to though. :D
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I might add, if you're looking for something which has a bit more permanency, look for Aves epoxy putty. It shapes like a dream, can be thinned with water, and when cured is about the same hardness as styrene.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Shaw

Post by Shaw »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:I might add, if you're looking for something which has a bit more permanency, look for Aves epoxy putty. It shapes like a dream, can be thinned with water, and when cured is about the same hardness as styrene.
I'm going to have to give this a try... it sounds awesome!

Thanks for the tip!