Squadron Thermaform substitutes and Plastruct domes

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

ProfKSergeev

Squadron Thermaform substitutes and Plastruct domes

Post by ProfKSergeev »

Squadron has put their Clear Thermaform in limbo while they find another supplier, but in the meanwhile can anyone suggest a similar product for heat-forming canopies and the like?

Also, I am in the unenviable position of needing one (1) clear acrylic hemisphere from Plastruct, whose minimum order is $20. Does anyone know of a more lenient retailer of Plastruct products? My thanks in advance!
Poyekhali!
incrediblefruit

Post by incrediblefruit »

You could always wait till next easter and get loads of chocolate eggs which come with free plastic hemispheres, plus you get chocolate as a bonus. Not really helping much here am I....
I now live in a deep dark cave with a 2'x3' worksurface in the kitchen, so pity me please.

http://incrediblefruit.googlepages.com/home
SuperGlued

Post by SuperGlued »

I'm doing a scratchbuild of a 1/72 scale viper and was wondering if anybody had ideas of alternatives for squadron thermaform for a canopy. I've read that projector transparencies will work, but spending upwards of $39 a box for just a few canopies is a little steep. Has anybody had success with squadron .010"/.3mm clear styrene sheets? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Yes, I've thermoformed .010 clear styrene. I've also used clear plastic from a 2 liter pop bottle. The bottle plastic actually works a little better.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Blister packaging for common store bought items is a cheap way to get thermoform plastic. Unfortunately you have to have a need for whatever is originally inside.

TazMan2000
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I'm pretty sure Plastruct has vac thermal plastic so maybe between the dome and plastic you can get enough to order?? Call them and ask...they are great folks.

Walthers sels Plastruct and they sell any quantity.