How do I properly cast cylinders?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

scottgirvan

How do I properly cast cylinders?

Post by scottgirvan »

Hi,
I've scratched an intake can for the Red 6 I'm working on and I'd like to try to cast copies. Any tips on how to properly cast half of a cylinder?

Very appreciated, thanks
Scott.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I'd stand it on its end and attach it to a plate for casting. Put some .010" sheet styrene between the part and the plate, and use a razor saw to cut the cast parts from the cast plate. The kerf of the saw blade will take care of the .010" gap and leave an edge that will need very little work to be square. Since you don't have pressure capability, be sure to use talc in the mold and pour very slowly to let the resin push out the air.
scottgirvan

Post by scottgirvan »

Great, thanks alot for the advice.
Scott.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Which X-wing is this for? Is this an upgrade to an existing X-wing? PM me with some details, I have an idea...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Don't PM him!!! He blabbed all my secrets on RI that he swore in a PM on here(SSM)that he wouldn't (Lying traitor @&^$&*$! :x :evil: :evil: Then he tells everyone that he"politely declined my offer" for casting help this last wednesday on RI, then this friday he sent me a PM about how he wants to help me afterall! :? WTF????? :?: He NOT trustmorthy and at NO COST do any business with him! :x This is the epitomy of what destroys the community and trust of these types of forums! :cry: I gave you all my personal information,and trusted you stupid @%*hole,(as your user name implies),and you abused my trust! :evil: Did you think you were winning brownie points with the other members of RI by doing this? :evil: Why dude,....WHY?!?!?! :cry: :?:
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Newbie Doobie wrote:Don't PM him!!! He blabbed all my secrets on resinilluminati that he swore in a PM on here(SSM)that he wouldn't (Lying traitor bastard)! :x :evil: :evil: Then he tells everyone that he"politely declined my offer" for casting help this last wednesday on RI,then this friday he sent me a PM about how he wants to help me afterall! :? WTF????? :?: He NOT trustmorthy,and at NO COST do any business with him! :x This is the epitomy of what destroys the community,and trust of these types of forums! :cry: I gave you all my personal information,and trusted you stupid a$$hole,(as your user name implies),and you abused my trust! :evil: Did you think you were winning brownie points with the other members of RI by doing this? :evil: Why dude,....WHY?!?!?! :cry: :?:
Knock it off, Newbie. You just violated two rules here. Personal attacks are not allowed here and what goes on at other forums stays at other forums.

This is your one and only warning.
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Chris - you know (because you & I communicated on this back in early Feb) the rules on these boards are very simple. And you are breaking them.

What happens elsewhere STAYS elsewhere.
No personal attacks.
No accusations.
Do not use objectionable language.

These boards use a filter to replace profanity and other offensive language. Circumventing the filter by inventing new ways to spell the filtered words, or using words from other languages that mean the same thing, is considered poor form. English is a rich language with perfectly acceptable words with which to make your point. If you can't say it with out cussing, expand your vocabulary.
________
Joe Brown
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Forgive me! Post edited for content!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Hi Scott; I just watched episode 0115 and Yes, that is what I was meaning when I said to mold the half-cylinder by standing it on its end and attaching it to a plate. Your plate should be a bit thicker and approximately the same length & width of part. Of course, it may be a moot point since you ran into the problem with the diameter. Since you aren't really concerned with detail on the inner surface of the part and it doesn't necessarily have to be hollow, you can block the ends off and cast it long-ways instead of on its end. Your casting will be a half-rod instead of a half-cylinder. You'll have an easier time pouring the resin and demolding the castings. Each casting will require much more resin and be much heavier.

Oh, and you're not alone when you say you may be thinking too hard about the build. I get lost in the details all the time and often have to just back off and go with the obvious solutions.

Cheers,
Joseph
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Scott, I say stay the course with respect to those engine cowls. You can glue them such that they are more circular. Still, it would be much, much easier to cast them as solid half-rounds, as suggested. About the electronics, I understand the impulse to do more, believe me I do! Just don't let yourself burn out on this one. You need to finish before you stop having fun with the build.
scottgirvan

Post by scottgirvan »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I believe all us - trying to do our best - modelers hit this wall, so I only thought it to be realistic to not edit out my state of mind. I'm determined to finish though, no questioning that. Hopefully others will know that they are not alone...I have a dream - Yes we can!

I received a tip to fix the semi-circle, Hot water, carefully. Gonna try that out. They should be kinda hollow though, shouldn't they? As for lighting I'm still on the fence. We'll see.

Thanks BIG TIME for your help and encouragement.