The best Glue for the Job

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Geo-man

The best Glue for the Job

Post by Geo-man »

hi
im currently scratch building a T-47 snowspeeder (this is my first one) and was wondering what the best glue fro sticking down flat panels is.
im using card to build it as im on a budget.
any suggestions??
cheers
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

If it's just styrene I always use superglue.
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Superglue gel. Bob Smith industries brand is what I've been using for twenty years plus now! O:) This is in the magenta bottle. Works great! :wink:
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

By "card" do you mean styrene sheet, or cardboard? If its the
former, I'd use a thin styrene cement, like testors or tamiya.
If its cardboard ( that is, paper ) I'd suggest either contact
cement or some form of white glue.
Superglue has its uses, but unless you've got an absolutely steady
hand, or use jigs, I wouldn't use it for flat panels-too much risk
of mis-alignment, and once its down, its staying there.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'm guessing by card you mean card-stock/cardboard/paper. Plain old white glue can be used for a lot of work but for quick glue go with a thicker CA. Mercury Adhesives is the best of the CA brands but will probably be a little tough to find in the UK.
Abolish Alliteration
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

I note the OP lists his location as UK, so he's almost certainly talking about sheet styrene. Personally I like to use Testor's liquid cement for this. Just don't use too much on thin sheet. thin superglue would be my second choice, the Bob Smith blue label stuff.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use CA glue to tack styrene card down around curves. In flat areas, I just use styrene cement.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Geo-man

Post by Geo-man »

Kylwell wrote:I'm guessing by card you mean card-stock/cardboard/paper. Plain old white glue can be used for a lot of work but for quick glue go with a thicker CA. Mercury Adhesives is the best of the CA brands but will probably be a little tough to find in the UK.
im am using the paper stuff yes. im a student so its being made from old pizza boxes and a like to save a bit of cash. is white glue similar to PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate). i hadnt even considered this. ive been using super glue for the joints and seams.
thanks
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Hi,

Yes what is called white glue in the US is PVA.

But if you're gluing something as thick and big as pizza boxes standard PVA may not be the best solution. I would recommend woodworker's white glue - it's still a type of PVA but it is also a good deal stronger, quicker drying and also dries harder than the PVA you would use for lighter wieght card.

You can get it from any hardware/DIY place and don't be afraid of own-brands (e.g. Homebase, B&Q, etc.) but if you have a Wilkinson's nearby theirs is the cheapest and one of the best.

If you want something REALLY strong, use Cascamite. This is a resin glue which comes as a powder in a tin. Mix with water and glue away. Again, this is readily avaliable at hardware/DIY stores.

As a note - almost all the brands our American colleagues have mentioned here are either unavailable in the UK or only available through the web.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

White glue = Elmers' types are ALAPHATIC resin. Polyurethane(Gorilla glue) is a PVA type of glue amalgumation.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Elmer's glue is based on an emulsion of polyvinyl acetate, other white glues can be made from an ALIPHATIC resin, Gorilla is a Polyurethane glue but water-resistant cross-linking PVAs are available.
Abolish Alliteration
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Thanks Kylwell! That's what I wanted to say. I'm just quoting the bottle label. :|
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

IIRC, aliphatic means an organic compound w/o benzene rings. Aromatic is a compound with benzene rings. So, by that light, PVA is aliphatic. From a health standpoint, aromatic compounds tend to be more aggressive, requiring protection.

Urethane resin used to be diluted with aromatic solvents, but urethane itself is not aromatic. Recently aliphatics have begun to be used with several resins, urethane included.

Gorilla glue is, according to its MSDS:
Urethane prepolymer (40-50%) + Polymeric MDI (a mixture of 4,4’-Diphenylmethane-diisocyanate,isomers and homologues) (50-60%)
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Given Gorilla glues properties it doesn't shock me find out it's got PMDA in it.
Abolish Alliteration
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Chacal wrote:IIRC, aliphatic means an organic compound w/o benzene rings. Aromatic is a compound with benzene rings. So, by that light, PVA is aliphatic. From a health standpoint, aromatic compounds tend to be more aggressive, requiring protection.

Urethane resin used to be diluted with aromatic solvents, but urethane itself is not aromatic. Recently aliphatics have begun to be used with several resins, urethane included.

Gorilla glue is, according to its MSDS:
Urethane prepolymer (40-50%) + Polymeric MDI (a mixture of 4,4’-Diphenylmethane-diisocyanate,isomers and homologues) (50-60%)
Thank you for chiming in with that Chacal! :) I don't know much about glues. :( MY forte is paint. :wink: It's nice to have an actual informed response! :o