3.25 floppies

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Thrusterhead Jones

3.25 floppies

Post by Thrusterhead Jones »

I' using up my supply of old floppy disks for scratchbuilding. They're a consistant size, and when you split them open there's some interesting molded in detail. Even the anti-write slider has some interesting possibilites. It's easy to work with and will score-and-snap cleanly.

The problem is that neither CA glue or model cement will stick the parts together. Any suggestions?
When better multistators are built, they'll be built by Thetatronic Overdrive.
A dvision of Orion Astromotive, Inc.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Apart from the ever unpopular two-part epoxy? I dunno.

I also rip apart floppies, but I discard the outer shell, keeping just the shutter (only when it's stainless steel), the lock tab, the spring, the floppy hub and the pressure pad (if metallic). Of those, I have used the tabs as greeblies, the springs as springs (duh), the pressure pad and shutters I cut (with craft scissors) and use for many things. The hubs I have only used as two-part epoxy adhesive mixing 'bowls'.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I've used them a lot in building wargaming scenery. It seems like superglue always worked for me, although I would suggest giving it a good cleaning and then a light sanding to rough up the surface that you're gluing. I've also used hot glue, but that's usually not very pretty if it's a visible join.

You might shoot Sean of Necromundicon an email and ask what he uses, as he's a fan of them and is a nice guy who will always answer questions.

-Rog
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use the shutters for scribing templates in addition to my Hasegawa and Kotobukiya ones. It seems the steel shutters are just the right size for reaching into some difficult areas. And, you can bend thm a bit and tack them into place with a rolled up piece of tape if need be. I learned this trick from FSM.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Naoto Kimura
木村直人
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Anuybody got any ideas for 5.5 floppies? :roll:
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Use the disk itself as a solar sail model. Add a ping-pong ball...

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Star Wars floppy disc drive?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
kitty

Post by kitty »

that is so cool, i like the musical scanners and HD (and i don't mean high definition) speakers a lot too :)
Democracy may be only a few steps removed from anarchy,
But at least it's not as loud.
You broke your little ships. See you around Ahab. :spock:
jontom

Post by jontom »

I can't even begin to say how incorrect this is....... :-)

Chacal wrote:An eclipse of the moon occurs when the sun passes between the Earth and the moon.
An eclipse of the sun occurs when the shadow of the Earth falls on the sun.
An eclipse of the Earth occurs when you put your hands over your eyes.
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

Funny, huh?