styrene wraps

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jgoldader

styrene wraps

Post by jgoldader »

Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap 0.01" styrene sheet around a plastic form (not styrene--made out of the ends of two soft plastic medicine bottles butted together and glued) to make a cylinder, and having little luck. I can't get the wrap tight, it looks terrible, the solvent melts through, etc.

The cylinder will end up being about 7 cm long by 3 cm diameter, so it's not too big or small.

Can anybody give hints? There's got to be some way to manage when Plastruct doesn't make the right size tubes.

Thanks!
Jeff
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Have you tried looking for some ABS pipe from a home center or plumbing supply?
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

USSARCADIA wrote:Have you tried looking for some ABS pipe from a home center or plumbing supply?
Ayup. It's the "almost, but not quite right" problem.

I did find a wooden dowel that's the right size a few minutes ago at the local Home Depot, so I'll sand/prime/sand/prime and use that. But I'd still really like to get a handle on doing wraps, since I can't always count on getting the right size, and I don't have a lathe.

Jeff
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Why don't you just glue both of these to a wooden dowel for support? Make sure that the dowel touches the bottom of each medicine bottle,so that there's no wobbliness. Then,glue each one to the dowel after you check the fit to make these butt together with the correct support. This will give you strength,and stability. Just put a drop of glue on each end of the wooden dowel,then around the collars,and fit them together. I'd use Elmers' white glue so that if you make a mistake,you can fix it!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I would go for something similar to the wooden dowel above, but with a styrene sheet triangular prism — triangular because that's a basic structural shape: it won't flex or bend as much as pretty much anything else (when you see the arms of construction cranes, they're triangular prisms—made of tubes for weight reduction). So, cut three rectangles as long as you need (close to the 70mm overall length) and as wide as possible so that a triangular prism of them will fit inside the medicine bottles. A good idea would be to let them overshoot, like this, so you can play a bit to fit them best. From then on, it's the same as the dowel method above.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Wrap your styrene around a slightly smaller wooden dowel, then
rubber band it and leave it over night. That should put a curl into
it and make it easier to form.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
max142

Post by max142 »

I've done this before: wrap .1 mm around a brass tube, hold in place with tape and immerse this into boiling water for a couple of seconds. The drop the rod into a sink of cold water to stiffen the plastic.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can do as Umi says - or you can roll it repeatedly to soften it. I'll do that with rod to make it hold in place over complex curves, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
dhanners

Post by dhanners »

As a card modeler who has to do this kind of thing often (except with paper, not styrene) you could roll it. Lay your piece of plastic on a computer mousepad or a similar type of foam pad and then use a length of brass tubing to roll over the plastic in the direction of the curl you want to impart. The brass tube should be smaller than what you want the rolled plastic to be, and you should roll the plastic as if you were rolling dough with a rolling pin.
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

Thanks, everybody, for the great ideas--I'll definitely try them!

Jeff
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Have you looked at the tutorials over at lyzrdstomp.com? Wrapping styrene around medicine bottles and vitamin bottles to make sci-fi items?

http://www.lyzrdstomp.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=120
________
Joe Brown
3d-builder

Re: styrene wraps

Post by 3d-builder »

jgoldader wrote:Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap 0.01" styrene sheet around a plastic form (not styrene--made out of the ends of two soft plastic medicine bottles butted together and glued) to make a cylinder, and having little luck. I can't get the wrap tight, it looks terrible, the solvent melts through, etc.

The cylinder will end up being about 7 cm long by 3 cm diameter, so it's not too big or small.

Can anybody give hints? There's got to be some way to manage when Plastruct doesn't make the right size tubes.

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff for the future of wooden dowels micro-mark has a nice tool that will make your in between sizes a reality.Not sure how big of a dowel you can start out with but check their catalog on line.

Also you can check plastic supply houses, they often sell acrylic rod and tubes in a tremendous amount of sizes.

You may have to use super glue if the plastic is so thin the solvent is eating through.

Regards,
Michael

Regards,
Michael